Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Replacing hot water baseboard heating
Author: newone (NY)

In my downstairs area that sit on a slab , I had a water leak in one of the hot water heating pipe running under the slab. I currently have baseboard heating on 2 and half walls.System is about 50 years old.The underwater leak is on a pipe that connects two walls together and there is an outside doorway between the two walls that is why the pipe was in the slab.

I had a plumber come over and he suggested replacing the baseboard heating with PEX pipeing.He would extend and replace the heating unit on the half wall and replace the basement heating unit on the longest wall in the area and leave the remaining small wall unit unconnected. He said that this would provide enough heating for the area.The room is about 300 square feet and the heating baseboard would cover about 30 feet.Has to run an additional 30 feet of PEX to the boiler for the return line.
Does this look like a good way to go and approximately how much would the cost be.It would include eight hours of labor.

Reply To This Message

Re: Replacing hot water baseboard heating
Author: hj (AZ)

PEX piping is NOT a heating unit, so he would still have to connect to the baseboard or something. Your description is not good enough for us to know what he is doing, or whether it will work or not.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

You need to do a Heat Loss for the area. That will tell you what you need in the way of baseboards to properly heat the space. Slant/Fin, a manufacturer of baseboards and heating equipment offers a free download of a heat loss calculator that can help... [www.pvsullivan.com]. I suggest you go to heatinghelp.com, and check the "Find A Contractor" there.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: newone (NY)

The piping that comes from my boiler and goes through the ceiling in lower level of my home is copper and conects with my baseboard which is hot water heating .I need to replace the baseboard heating unit and will be using slant fin.Can you connect copper piping to pex piping on the source line from the boiler?The return line back to the boiler will be pex piping.Will this work?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms