Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Shark Bite leaking.
Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

I had trouble getting water to stop dripping out of my 3/4 copper in my basement. So I ran out and picked up a couple shark bite 3/4 ball valves. One took fine and one is leaking a bit.

My close-in cutter needs to be replaced and I think I spun a few groves in the copper.

I plan on redoing it tomorrow when I can shut off the water again (when my neighbors are gone).

Here's the question: Do I need to worry about it popping off over night? I can deal with a drip (it's on concrete) but I would rather not have an indoor swimming pool.

Reply To This Message

Re: Shark Bite leaking.
Author: hj

A drip would caused by a damaged "O" ring or damaged copper, (or both), but it would not affect the gripping function.

Reply To This Message

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I've never had a sharkbite leak, then again, I don't use them much. If you are SURE you "bottomed out" or fully seated the tube in the fitting, it should hold until morning. I have never heard of a sharkbite popping off a tube.. has anybody?

Reply To This Message

They are hard enough to remove when you want to, much less accidentally.

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

You can't pull them off with fingers

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

HJ.if the poster is sure the valve went all the way on?????not setting the locking ring does occur.Most find out at pressure test and simply pushing the fitting fully on corrects the blast of water.If his cutters where tracking where they also compressing the tubing.often occurs to soft copper types.the fitting is not the failure.but the install is questionable at best.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

actual i had one blow of this winter.ahalg in. line fro ze solid for about ten foot and insted of splitting the pipe a shark bite popped off insted...easy fix.it was on the back of classroom.

Reply To This Message

Author: mr leak (CA)

If you can pull it off with fingers then the shark bite must be a "lemon"

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

That may be a better use.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

I had a cap freeze and pop off by the horse's pen last year, (the ice prevented flooding), but that puts them under a lot more pressure than your fingers.

Reply To This Message

Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

I managed to re-cut it and re-set it and NO LEAKS. I had to buy a new close-in cutter and close-in cleaning brush. It's nice to have tools in working order.

Thanks for everyone's help!! It was only a semi-sleepless night thanks to your assurances.

Reply To This Message

Come on, who edited my post? hj? Vic?

I was only repeating what he had stated in the past. ;)

I do like mr. leaks (revised) version though. :applause:

Reply To This Message

some are weak tipped ,they might even leak?LOL.yes with no problem.I would say it has more to do with understanding how the lock works than strength.the manufacturer of shark bite has agreed with me!!!!!What?///

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i use sharkbites regularly....they leak sometimes....ive had (2) completely blow off (and yes they were on all the way and yes they were SHARKBITE brand)

if its under pressure and its holding it wont come off...the ones i had that blew off did so right away....sometimes if they leak you can turn them and they will stop...

never put one inside a wall...i only use them in exposed area's

Reply To This Message

Come on Swim, I am missing two finger tips and can still.You may note god gave the thumbs.they are very important for lock release.Why is engineered into the only steel of the product.Maybe you chew your nails?I would have broke that habit, while retraining the weak .

Reply To This Message

LOL, SEE!

Lemon is claiming it again.

My post actually stated that you "can" pull them off with your fingers Lemon, somebody edited it for some reason.

Reply To This Message

Sorry.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms