Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 American Standard Flush Valve #4 old style vs. #4 new style
Author: natron (NE)

I have an old American Standard One-Piece Toilet (2149). It has the old cannister-type flush valve. It is leaking and I want to replace it. I know that an old-style #4 flush valve (47086-0700) will work. However, the new-style #4 flush valve (47107-0070A) is a lot cheaper and more readily available. They look identical to me. Anyone know the difference? Are they more-or-less interchangeable?

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: American Standard Flush Valve #4 old style vs. #4 new style
Author: hj (AZ)

the original #4 brass replacement flush valve #3156 comes with the three #726 hole plugs you will need to seal the bolt holes in the bottom of the tank. The two you name do not appear to come with them.

Reply To This Message

The 47086-0700 (older model) includes the plugs. But you do raise a good point because the newer model does not include them. However, I found a couple online vendors that sell just the plugs for around a buck+shipping. Since the 47107-0070A is about $25 cheaper, I could easily buy the plugs separately and still come out well ahead. That is, IF the main assemblies are the same on both models. Anyone know if they are?

Reply To This Message

The main requirement is how they secure to the toilet and both use the "internal toggles" so there should be no difference in operation.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Both the origination and lift lengths are different.be aware of the bouncing to seal flush valve.Pay the few bucks more and relax.You know this dinosaur should be replaced with anew low gallon-age type?

Reply To This Message

quote; You know this dinosaur should be replaced with anew low gallon-age type?

At least you know this "dinosaur" will not get diarrhea or puke all over your floor.

Reply To This Message

Yeah, I have considered that. I have two of these toilets (the other one seems to have been converted from the cannister flush valve some time before I bought the house last year). That is why I was just looking for an economical fix for now, because if it is going to cost me $50 I might be better off investing that money in a new, more efficient toilet.

However, I have read that these toilets don't overflow. If that is, indeed, the case, as HJ suggested, then that is worth something.

I don't even think they make the 47086-0700 (older flush valve) anymore. It is only available on specialty plumbing sites (which is probably why the price is higher). So if these flush valves are not interchangeable it probably won't be long before I won't even be able to buy parts for this toilet.

This is not really relevant to the issue at hand but I can't believe how low this style of toilet sits. I'm 6'1" so that took some getting used to.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

HJ.newer toilets are much to ?/whats seemed to be a surprise\ much better solid waste units\All of them.See manufacturers sell off brands?Yes four gallons less water per flush?at least makes this a easy and for /bad back up.purple trumps my cards .so if the poster holds black,he still is beat by the new decks black cards. ?he saves the cost of playing with exactly what he wanted to win!!!Sorry reference to color match /the only reason not to update\.

Reply To This Message

I ended up buying a square of red rubber gasket material from Ace Hardware and I cut out my own circle gasket for the end of the cannister flush valve. Working like a charm so far. I'm still interested in a possible upgrade to more efficient toilets, but at least now I don't have to do it in a rush.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms