Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 toilet running
Author: bozat (OR)

We are having trouble with a toilet that's only 8 years old running too much. Hubby has replaced the "guts" twice and it does the weirdest thing now. Every once in a while you hear water running in it for 5 seconds or so and then it stops. Very annoying at night since it's the bathroom in the master suite and it is close enough to hear from the bedroom. Any suggestions?

Reply To This Message

Re: toilet running
Author: Paul48 (CT)

After market fill valves work very well in many toilets.After market flush valves or flappers as they are commonly known,often do not.Look for a tiny amount of movement of the water in the bowl when the toilet is sitting idle, or put a few drops of food coloring in the tank while the toilet is sitting idle.If the water in the bowl changes color, the flapper is leaking.Start by making sure the chain to the flapper is loose and not interfering with it closing.Let us know and we'll take it from there.

Reply To This Message

Author: Royboysc (SC)

Try to find a "Coast" brand flapper. They are blue in color and seal very well. Examine the seat on the flush valve (that the flapper closes on) for any warpage or dirt.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

YES, repair the toilet properly, but without seeing it we cannot tell you HOW to do it.

Reply To This Message

I REMOVE Coast brand flappers, I have NEVER installed one. I only use Korkys.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

Korky flappers are the best. They are the only ones I will use except for some speciality ones that need to be OEM.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Toilets are designed to Fill n Flush, not run. As suggested by others you may have a faulty flapper that is not mating with the flush valve and "venting" A heavy duty food coloring tab will confirm this. You might also have a "nick" on the base of the flush valve or a crack which is allow water to bypass, thus causing the refill value to fill for 5 seconds.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

I even use the Korky "specialty" flappers for those applications. I NEVER purchase OEM flappers.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

In addition to those possibilities another one would be the refill tube siphoning the water out, and there could be other possibilities as well. Only by being there could we give a definitive answer.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

was it completely rebuilt? or just a flapper replaced

i recommend a complete rebuild...take the tank off replace the flush and fill valve with factory originals

many 'service' plumbers replace flappers, but i dont...i dont want the call back....when it leaks i replace the whole flush valve....not 1 call back this way

Reply To This Message

quote; many 'service' plumbers replace flappers, but i dont...i dont want the call back

The "call back" would be because of HOW you did it, NOT because you replaced the flapper. I replace many flappers EVERY week and do NOT have call backs. IF I rebuild the entire tank everytime, I could not sleep at night knowing I had been "gouging" my customers. But there are MANY plumbers, and companies that do sleep well at night, dreaming about the balance in their checking accounts.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.