Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 whats the best NO LEAK toilet seal
Author: cvcman (NY)

I may be changing my toilet, I know sometimes those wax seals dont seal great, are the Fernco ones better or whats the best ???

Reply To This Message

Re: whats the best NO LEAK toilet seal
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i never have issues with wax rings...i buy the extra thick w/o horn ones

as long as the wax is not hard it will be just fine

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

agree... the only time i have trouble is in the dead of winter. especially if the house is cold and the toilet is cold.

Reply To This Message

so dont bother with the fernco type??

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

No, dry fit the toilet to the floor without a wax seal first to see if it rocks and where it needs shimed, then use a wax seal without a plastic horn and it'll be good for many many years.

Reply To This Message

does the seal go on the toilet first or the floor ??

Reply To This Message

Also I have 4 bolts sticking out of the floor, will any of these bolts be in the flange or just thru the floor ? It is a 1955 toilet and house so will the flange just be a cast flange w/o bolts or will it be plastic flange with bolts ?

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

It won't be plastic. It will probably be cast iron . Post a photo when you take the toilet off!

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Look back in the posts about 30 posts....Replacing Old Toilet.....Maybe some useful info.

Reply To This Message

so are the bolts I have now going into the floor or the flange ?? And what do I need to do to put in a new toilet ?? I need to have the parts ready as this is our only bathroom

Reply To This Message

ok the first set of bolts is 12" from the wall, what does that mean

Reply To This Message

also this is a ranch house and I can see the 4" cast soil pipe in the basement

Reply To This Message

Author: steve72(NC) (NC)

2 bolts are going into the flange and 2 bolts are going into the floor. if you want to use new toilet just remove the bolts/studs going into floor. replace floor bolts to flange and wax seal then set new toilet

Reply To This Message

Author: mr leak (CA)

the bolts that go thru the toilet and have plastic snap covers on them should be approx 12 inches from the finished wall Thes bolts as you face the wall are at 3 and 9 0'clock and their job is to secure the toilet to the closet i'e toilet flange. These bolts as described above are positioned in the slot of the flange and stick up a couple of inches. put the wax ring on the toilet and guide the toilet down over the bolts When you tighten thes bolts DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN only snug or you will break the toilet. The wax ring seals the toilet not wrechning on on these bolts One more thing the closet flange is fastened to the floor by the series of screws around the flange factory holes.I know how to install a toilet but not sure how you spell wrechinng

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

mr leak, you and i may be the only 2 plumbers in the universe who put the wax on the toilet. it seems all the others put the wax on the flange.
as i have said in the past, given the larger size of the horn on some of the newer toilets, the only way i'm comfortable that the wax is perfectly centered is to put it over the horn, smush it gently to keep it in place then "set it and forget it"...

Reply To This Message

Ok so even though I have a cast flange, the screws still go thru the flange and the flange IS fastened to the floor ?? Seems like the old ones ive seen the flange was NOT fastened to the floor.
Also I do believe most plumbers put the seal on the flange first....Thanks guys

Reply To This Message

The flange has a slot on either side for closet bolts to slip into. It also has round holes for screwing it to the floor.In fact, if there is nothing solid to screw it to, add blocking from the under side.It's very important for everything to be solid,that's why in the previous post you were told to dry fit the toilet and check for rocking and shim where needed.Do it right and you'll have no worries for a long time.Do it wrong and you'll have an expensive repair in no time at all.No shortcuts! Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

IF your flange is set properly, they are ALL equal, although some, like the ones with the plastic funnel, have a bad reputation.

Reply To This Message

Four bolts usually means cast iron, but the front ones are NOT used with the new toilet and have to be removed or cut flush with the floor.

Reply To This Message

The first time the wax comes OFF the toilet just as you set it down and falls across the waste opening, or out of alignment, will be when you change your practice.

Reply To This Message

They are "T head" bolts, NOT screws, secured to the flange.

Reply To This Message

ok i just didnt knw if the old style cast like I have uses the bolts thru the flange or they just bolt into the floor. My neighbor has copper soil pipe and his flange doesnt look like its attached to the floor ??

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

If you have only one bathroom and you can't afford to be without a toilet for more than an hour or so, and you are not sure what you might run into, my advice is to do the change out on a weekday during the day, that way if all else fails, you can call a plumber or at least visit a plumbing supply house for specialty parts if you run into issues along the way, don't do it at 10pm on weekends when everything is closed.

But a toilet swap is a fairly standard thing if you don't have to mess with the flange at all.

Reply To This Message

You said the first set of bolts was 12" from the wall (not from the baseboard or base shoe).If that's the case, you need a toilet with a 12" rough(critical).A 14" rough will not fit.

Reply To This Message

is that standard 12" ??

Reply To This Message

It is....just make sure the toilet you like is available with that 12" rough.Many, not all, are available 10",12" or 14" rough.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.