Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Vent Stack sealing
Author: JOE (PA)

I have not been able to locate a replacement boot yet. This is a rubber collar that slides over the stack and keeps the water from running past the cracked original seal.
I am considering using a reducer coupling that the the large end would cover the cracked rubber of the original seal.

Can the vent stack pipe have silicone caulk put around to seal the cracked area or would the expansion of the vent stack cause the caulk to break or push the flange up causing the seal to the roof to break?

Would the stack vent/roof seal be a plumbing item or a roofing item?

Reply To This Message

Re: Vent Stack sealing
Author: hj (AZ)

It could ither, but, what kind of roof is it? That will determine the best repair.

Reply To This Message

Pitched asphalt shingles. I would hate to fool with the shingles.
I went in the attic and I can see the light coming thru were the seal should be.

Caulk would probably work but I am concerned that the stack may need to move up and down with the temperature change. I have seen what I need on the Internet but I do not need 50 of them.

I could just remove the flange from the a new one if needed. I have 2 3" vents and 1 1.5" to fix.

Thank you for reading my post

Reply To This Message

Author: chadschloss78 (MI)

try here. small startup company. i ordered them just to see what they are. i like it because it covers the existing and the seals themselves are replaceable. you could always go to the big orange and get an otey one like it and install it over the old one too.

[ezeeboot.com]

contact the bruce guy listed on the page if interested, he was the only one who got back to me from the contacts listed on that page. they have two products, one is if you are reroofing, and the other is like a cap/cover to cover the torn one.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

This is what I am looking for. I was trying not to order them. It seem to be a great idea. I am surprised they would not be at the big box stored. This is really a do it your self product. Taking the shingles off seems risky if you do not have replacement shingles.

I am not sure if caulk would work I see videos that show people caulking around the rubber to PVC interface.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

To boot... or not to boot. That is the question. Consider the risks and costs, plus possible future damage to the roof and everything underneath should a leap develop. Its not just a light thing but the integrity of the roof. I would not wait too long as winter is not that far off and the rainy season too.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Luckily the water has never touched the roof. The water just drips down the pipe's OD until it hit something. The problem became apparent after the hurricane Irene.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Since you have shingles, ANY competent plumber or roofer would have installed metal or plastic flashings, or roof jacks (the name varies depending on where you live), over the pipes. These would have projected above the roof line around the pipes to keep the water out. If additional sealing was desired, then roofing tar would have been applied around the pipe and top of the flashing. If these were NOT used, any "patch" will be temporary until they are installed.

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

Joe, how about here?

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hi (TX)

The roof pipe flashing are sometimes called a "roof boot". The rubber seal can be called a "rain collar" by some..

The steel or plastic are most commonly used. Some feel lead or copper flashing may give longer lasting, leak free results.

I may recommend when replacing the rubber gasket in the flashing to add an additional rain collar above the rubber grommet. It will protect the main seal from UV and make it last longer. When the chimneys are flashed it is called a "storm collar" This is especially important if you have a new longer lasting roof ie steel or metal.
[img203.imageshack.us]

There are different sizes of the Rain Collar or rubber boot for the roof flashing.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]
scroll down to rain collar... from our sponsor easy selection and good price..

The above picture is off of that PlumbingSupply.com's page

---

Oatey has 5 different sizes.

There is a permaboot which i found when googling it.. looks very easy and well made. Just slip it on.
[www.perma-boot.com]

Sometimes if you can't buy the rubber collar just buy the whole flashing and remove the rubber seal and replace it in the old flashing. They run about $8 bucks or so. Tommy did this on the "This Old House" show.

Here is how to replace the whole flashing.. pretty easy..
[www.handymanhowto.com]

Oatey catalog page 20 for the rain collars..
[www.oatey.com]

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Thank you I think I have a plan now.

Reply To This Message

Author: mr leak (CA)

This is about simple as it gets. There are" roof jack". plumbing vent boots that sell without the metal flashing slip over the pipe with the elastomeric seal.Go to a hardware store ask for a plumbing roof jack look at the rubber part then ask the sales person for the rubber part without the metal flashing. If he has no idea of what you are talking about then sell your stock in Lowes or Home Depot

Reply To This Message

I only found the whole part at HD with the a plastic flange). put it over the original "Roof Jack" which is very low profile. I did see a one size fits all at HD that covered every size from 1.5" to 4" or more. It was a foot tall and $26, I would need 3 of them.

The only problem with my "Roof Jack" is the rubber no-longer seals around the pipe. I was considering just caulking it but possibly the vent stack need to have freedom to expand and contract.

Bottom line is I am leaving the original roof jack and placing the new roof jack over the original one and gluing the top of the flange down and tacking the corners. 2 of the 3 flanges meet exactly even the the top shingle the 3rd one I trimmed off 2" of the flange. Next time I will purchase just the rubber part thru the sponsor when I have more time.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If the roof is walkable,it's a fifteen minute job with a flat-bar to replace that correctly.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

joe.You see the defect?a rubber coupling will seal the pipe to the roof flashing if the defect is above the water run area.As said it is not a time to guess.at the cost have a pro roofer repair it best.I have repaired many squire /rat eaten lead boots with rubber shielded couplings.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms