Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Water leaking in around sewer pipe
Author: cookz (MI)

Can someone tell me if when a sewer line (to septic tank)is replaced in a house (due to a fire), is around the pipe supposed to be sealed, have a sleeve or boot, or some way of sealing off the water from entering the basement from the outside?
We just noticed that clear water has been entering our basement around the sewer pipe. We now have mold, mushrooms and mildew around the drywall, carpet and baseboards. Due to the fact the pipe was behind the drywall, we never noticed the damage until recently. The water damage is about 20'-30' in length. We aren't sure if it's the contractors fault, or something failed over the past two years since it was replaced. There is a 1"-2" gap between the pipe and the poured concrete wall, with stones laying underneath the pipe.
Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Re: Water leaking in around sewer pipe
Author: RWP (SD)

It should have been cemented both inside and outside then sealed outside with tar or some other sealer to water proof it.

Lumber yards sell a cement like material that expands when it sets up. This is what I would reccommend you use. It is mixed with water only.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

The pipes are typically sealed from the outside and inside. You do not want any water coming in. And the issue with the mold needs to be addressed. First step to stopping mold is stop the moisture from getting to it.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the info. To see photos of what the sewer line going into the wall looks like, I have them posted here:
[www.flickr.com]

Based on the information you have given, this sewer line should have been sealed off at the time it was replaced, correct? The pipe that goes through the wall to the septic tank was not replaced, only the pipe on the inside of the house.
Thanks again!

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

hydraulic cement is what is used to seal the opening.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It sounds like he did what he was contracted to do......replace the fire damaged section of pipe.If it had always been like that, he had no reason to believe it was a problem, if he saw it.

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That appears to be a vertical run of piping going into the slab. If thats the case, I think you may have other problems that need to be addressed. I would be concerned about the foundation drains.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I'm sure the construction company did what they were paid to do by the insurance company's instructions. We don't know if the work required inspection and who did it. I've seen various cements and rubber flanges used around the outside of the pipe, on the outside, along with tar.
In your example, more work is required to patch that opening on the insides.... as well as the outside.
Is the moisture from rain, melted snow or a high water table near your house?
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; if he saw it.

IF he saw it? He would either have to be blind or have extreme tunnel vision to NOT see it when he "replaced the line up to the wall". And any conscientious person should have ealed it, unless he did not want to accept liability for future leakage, but in any case he should have brought it to someone's attention.

Reply To This Message

As you can see the pipe was attached inside the wall, so I would assume to remove the previous pipe any sealer, cement or sleeve had to be removed. This is a horizontal sewer pipe that exits the house about two feet below ground level. We know that any water (rain, garden watering, etc.) that enters the ground near this pipe drains back into the basement through the gap around the pipe.
The county inspector came out several times throughout the re-build, however, I'm not sure if the interior wall was built before or after the plumbing inspection. I now have thousands of dollars worth of water and mold damage that homeowners insurance won't cover due to this being a "new" build.

Reply To This Message

We don't know if there was a wall in front of that opening,when the damaged pipe was replaced.That's why I said IF HE SAW IT.

Reply To This Message

Author: sammy d (NJ)

Sounds like Susie's brother-in-law is back in town!:disappointed:

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

fire /heat burns up?was this existing?you could as said shield and pour from the outside hydraulic cement to block this water pour.but you need to be sure of the water table in your home as the whole house can cement barge.Float.where you say gravel it may be part of a unknown drainage system?when was the basement finished and was it permitted and inspected?

Reply To This Message

The house is seven years old and the house fire was two years ago. It was almost a total loss, including the wall that was in front of this pipe. The house was stripped of all electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc., due to smoke, water & fire damage. It was down to the studs. All permits were pulled, inspections throughout entire re-build, but everyone, including the inspector missed this. Thousands of dollars worth of damage, our lives are disrupted again and all for a 20 minute job! This was sealed today by the contractor and now the dryout, clean up, mold removal and rebuild begins...again!

Reply To This Message

Don't rebuild anything until you're sure this will not leak again.I'd flood the area outside the foundation next to the penetration.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.