Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Quest pipes
Author: teachem (VA)

After 2 minor leaks in my basement plumbing, the plumbers told me I have Quest pipe in my 20-year-old home, and that I would need a total replacement. I've called several plumbers for estimates, and one just told me that since I have a well, I only need a piece of equipment that will reduce the acid in my water, thus eliminating the acid that causes the problems in the Quest pipe. No other plumber has suggested this, and since this plumber would have made much more money replacing my pipes, I'm thinking he may be correct! Obviously, I'm too late to get in on the class-action suit related to Quest plumbing; I never even knew there was such a lawsuit. I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action; are there more problems with Quest pipe than just acid erosion which causes the leaks, or would reducing the acid in my water do the trick?

Reply To This Message

Re: Quest pipes
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The damage is already done. I vote for a repipe.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

Do the repiping job and then if you really do have an acid problem, treat that too. Use a swimming pool tester to see what the Ph of your water is. Above 7.0 is alkaline. Below 7.0 is acid. If you do not have a pool borrow a test kit from someone that does.

Your present piping will eventually become a sprinkler system that you do not want.
Copper pipe has lasted for a hundred years in many installations around the country.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Royboysc (SC)

It's time for a second opinion. I'm not following this plumbers story very well. Getting a water test is MANDATORY for installing ANY water conditioning equipment. I could be wrong on this but isn't Quest a plastic pipe that isn't affected by aggresive water? Polybutylene pipe usually isn't Quest.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

the hardness of your water is no what is causing the leaks on your plastic pipe. the chemical make up of the pipe is your problem especially if it is actually quest piping.

a re-pipe is your best bet

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

ALL of the homes with Qest problems, that I have worked on, used city water, so acid is NOT a factor. If you have gone this far and only have one failure, then I would not worry about it. Even the class action needed at least THREE failures before they would do anything about it.

Reply To This Message

Polybutylene usually IS Qest, but many factors were involved with its failure.

Reply To This Message

Author: mr leak (CA)

When Quest had a class action suit why would you even think that this product is worth a crap ??

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

you had 2 leaks.....i dont have any Quest experience, but my opinion on basic piping tells me its all the same quality and install procedure....if 2 failed there will be more

next time it could be in your walls or while your on vacation...no piping should fail in less than 50 years....your at year 20 and its going....

spend a few thousand and redo it

most plumbers arent only after your money...they want you as a lifetime customer and want to give you the correct advice....if all but 1 said replace id replace

Reply To This Message

quote; When Quest had a class action suit why would you even think that this product is worth a crap ??

MILLIONS of feet of it were installed, and dozens of plumbers and insurance companies were bankrupted, BEFORE the class action was settled in 1995. BUT, not all installations have failed so it is not a given that there will be problems with it.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

at this point failures are because of age

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Poly-B tubing system with 'cheap' plastic fittings was originally invented by Royal Dutch Petroleum A/K/A Shell Oil Co. to be used only in exposed locations ON A TEMPORARY BASIS.

It was imported into the USA to be used in trailors and other temporary homes.

The Supreme Court forced Shell to allow ANYONE to purchase the 'usage rights' (similar to the high quality DuPont Teflon Tape fiasco, which removed DuPont's quality control from the ultimate purchaser).

The rest is history.

My home is done with silver soldered (brazed) K - Cu, pricey but IT WILL LAST ALMOST FOREVER.

(yes, i do plan to live forever)

REPIPE ASAP ... before a joint fails INSIDE a wall

================================================

Retired U.A. Local 1 & Local 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once ~

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

quote; My home is done with silver soldered (brazed) K - Cu

Pricey, AND risky. Silver soldering fittings DESTROYS their temper and makes them susceptible to flexing and cracking. Silver solder an elbow and you can bend it to any angle you want, even almost to a 45. I once had a grocery store which had a 2" silver soldered main line in the ceiling. One of the 1/2" tap offs broke right off the tee and created a major flood.

Reply To This Message

Author: vic (CA)

">After 2 minor leaks in my basement plumbing,... "<

We don't know if those were caused by failure to your pipe, fittings or a connection?

Please tell us more.

As far as polybutylene, since you're on a well and so don't have ANY chlorine in your pipes most likely you won't have any leaks.

More than that if you went to using copper with having low pH water you actually might be much better off having 20 year old polybutylene pipe in my opinion (assuming top quality fittings and copper rings were used).

With polybutylene there was quality control when it came to the plastics. Shell produced it all and all was virgin resins. Compare that to todays PEX which there are many unknown manufacturers of the resins some of whom have already come and gone while Shell is still in business.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.