Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 check valves in the sewer drains?
Author: sum (FL)

I was at Home Depot today shopping for some stuff and there was a plumber talking to another couple shopping there. He was advising them on how to do their project and I just happened to be near by and overheard part of the conversation.

He was telling them to install a 2" in line check valve downstream of their shower trap, the reason being the check valve will stop any sewer from backing up to the shower in case the toilet ever clogs the main drain. He stated it is a good idea to put a check valve just upstream of every branch of a Y.

I was thinking about what he said, and it sounded like a good idea. I just replumbed all four bathroom DWV and if I had known about this I might have done it.

However I started to think about it a little more and I am not sure it is really a good idea. Let's say my toilet drain and the shower drain are at the same level. If I have a clog in the line before the shower line ties in, it wouldn't really matter, it will just back up to the toilet. Now if I have a clog after the shower ties in, the water will back up to both the toilet and the shower. If the shower line check valve stops the back up to the shower, then it will back up to the toilet. The back up will probably cause a rapture in the wax ring seal and leak all over the floor, making a mess of the bottom of the vanity and the floor. If there is no shower check valve, then it will back up to the shower, but the dirty water will be contained within the shower area. Plus the check valve may fail after a while and cause the water to drain slower in the shower.

Am I making sense or there is indeed a clear advantage to having a check valve everywhere?

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: check valves in the sewer drains?
Author: dlh (TX)

you made perfect sense and is why none of us suggested ever doing that

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

codes in this area are designed exaclty to what you are saying. toilets need to enter in a specific order, cant see a check valve on a shower saving it. My only thought is if this guy is talking about a basement bathroom, and looking at a sewar back-up, but a normaly open backwater valve should catch that.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

check valve at the branch of every "Y" ????

so much for wet venting fixtures.
there needs to be a free flow of air throughout the system. when you flush a toilet, there is a positive slug of air in front of the water. that air needs to go somewhere.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Personally, I do not think there is EVER a "good" place to put a check/backwater valve in a sewer. They are ALL subject to "fouling" and once that happens they SLOW the backflow but do not stop it. In a shower, it would only take a very small accumulation of hair, and the backwater valve has many "protrusions" which would snag it, to prevent it from working. In additon, a check valve effectively PREVENTS the line from being snaked, Since the valve would "grab" the snake and keep it from being extraced, a plumber would NOT snake the line if he KNEW the valve was there. If he did NOT know of the valve's existence and got his snake trapped, YOU could have an expensive bill by the time he was finished.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

It sounds to me that the ignorant "expert" at Home Depot did not know which end was up!
He needs an intensive course on plumbing codes and practices before he advises anyone else.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Sum.if you want to fix a fouled dwv system .use the advised or six onces of plastic explosives as a cleaner alternative.Hope you know you over heard bowel movements as such!!!!!Way full of it.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms