Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Water Pressure Drop in Kitchen Sink
Author: lex127 (MA)

Hi - I'm having water pressure issues in my kitchen sink only. I have a Pfister pull-out faucet (Model # F-WKP-53). There is no side sprayer.

A few days ago I had the faucet running. While I was using it there seemed to be a noticeable drop in water pressure. I had the dishwasher going at the same time and thought that maybe that was the issue and it would just go back to normal later. That did not happen.

The faucet isn't leaking. I went to some websites that suggested removing the head and seeing the flow coming from the hose (which apparently would help rule out an aerator issue) and I thought the flow seemed a little weak. The water pressure is the same whether it is on hot or cold. THere are no other water pressure issues with any other sinks.

I know nothing about plumbing so any advice is appreciated.

Reply To This Message

Re: Water Pressure Drop in Kitchen Sink
Author: PlumerDan (CA)

clean the areator. then let us know

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

there is a check valve in there somewhere.
could be at the point the hose attaches to the faucet?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; The water pressure is the same whether it is on hot or cold.

That is the key phrase, and indicates that the problem is probably in the aerator, but it could also be in the "spray head" itself.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

I believe this faucet has a pull out spray. When you disconnected the hose, did you look into the bottom of the sprayer? Most of these have screens that catch debris.

You can also call Price Pfister. I just recently dealt with a Price Pfister faucet and the low pressure was caused by the cartridge. The homeowner called the company and they sent out a new one. Been working fine since replacing that.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the aerator, like I said I know nothing about plumbing but I looked up how to remove an aerator and all the things I find online do not look like my faucet so I'm kind of nervous about pulling it all apart. I did take out the screens where the water comes out but that didn't do much. Then there was a white rubber ring inside of another ring that doesn't seem to want to budge so I didn't want to take that out. I also soaked it in vinegar (as suggested on other websites) to no avail. Other websites said I could rule out the aerator if the pressure was still low after removing the faucet from the hose, which it was.

SMS Plumbing - when you say bottom of the sprayer, do you mean where the sprayer connects to the hose or where the water comes out? I don't remember seeing a screen where they connect but I can doublecheck when I go back home later today.

Packy - what does a check valve look like?

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Usually the screen will be built into the washer that goes between the hose and the hand held part. Or there may be one in the bottom of the hand held part. If the water pressure coming out of the hose when the hand held part is off is low, then the problem is withing the faucet. The check valve is typically installed at the beginning of the sprayer hose to the faucet itself.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

it is a soft rubber piece that looks like the tip of a rubber cement/mucilage bottle.
see the top on this bottle?

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Is this the faucet you have...[ []]

Reply To This Message

Thanks Packy. I just checked it out and don't see anything like the tip of that bottle.

Paul48 - that is my faucet. I keep fiddling with the aerator but nothing wants to come out easily. But like I said, since the water pressure is low when the hand-held part is off I'm thinking it's not the aerator (with my limited plumbing knowledge).

Also, is it strange that the water pressure drop happened while I was watching it and hasn't returned to normal since? The water was running normally then bam, it slowed down and has been that way ever since. That also makes me think that it's not a clogged aerator but something else just went wrong.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Reply To This Message

Author: iplumb (MA)

Do you have a bathroom on same floor?

If so,go check the pressure at lav,is it the same as kitchen sink?

Might be time to call in professional

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

that is what makes us believe it is the aerator

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

iplumb - I actually have 2 bathrooms on the same floor - water pressure in both are fine.

dlh - What is it that makes you believe it is the aerator? The fact that it pressure suddenly dropped?

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Replace the cartridge, as said.

Reply To This Message

yes

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

oops didnt read a post or two but the aerator is the first thing to check then the screen if it is a pullout faucet then the faucet itself

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms