Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 water flows from tub and shower
Author: blackxacto (TN)

Two handled water facet in the tub which is in my house that is appx 60 years old. Problem is that when I turn on the water faucets to fill the tub, water comes out the shower head. I replaced the tub water spout/divertor. Water still flows out the shower head, unwanted, when filing tub. My plumber says that I have too high water pressure for the two handle faucet. Does this sound correct? She recommends adding a third divertor handle to the tub. I have the wall removed from behind the tub, as the drain and stopper assembly was just replaced. Should I have to spend another $250 to correct the showerhead flow, or is there an cheaper/easier way to lower the pressure to the tub faucets. I will do what I have to, but was just checking w you guy's for any insight. Thanks

PS: or should I just live with it, I mean all the water goes into the tub anyway, just hits my head sometimes.

John R

PS: here is a link to the tub pipes:
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: water flows from tub and shower
Author: hj (AZ)

quote; My plumber says that I have too high water pressure for the two handle faucet. Does this sound correct?

Not likely, but since you have a two handled faucet, it would either have to have a "restrictor" inside the valve or use a "twin ell" at the spout. Without seeing your installation, I cannot tell if you have either of these. IF the shower was just added to an existing installation, it is very possible that you have neither.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Did your plumber happen to test the pressure and tell you what it was? If you are on city water and your pressure is above 80 psi, I would advise you to have a pressure reducing valve installed. If you have one I would have it replaced if the pressure can not be adjusted. This would lower the incoming water pressure to your whole home.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

does the water flow from the showerhead with the spout removed?

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Save your money and purchase a showerhead with a shutoff or you can use your present showerhead with a shutoff adapter. They are available with lever or push button operater.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: vic (CA)

You'll have to decide if you can "live with it" or not.

Since you have the wall open you could install a "Twin Ell"

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Reply To This Message

Would you describe where this unit goes in the tub plumbing lines? What does it do? Thank you very much for your response.

Reply To This Message

Where would the "restrictor" go? Is it inserted on both valves somehow? Thanks for your response.

Reply To This Message

one pipe goes from the valve to the "front" opening. The rear opening is connected to the shower riser, and 3/4" diverter spout is connected to the front opening.

Reply To This Message

> Did your plumber happen to test the pressure and tell you what it was?

No have not tested as yet. Still not sure what my next move should be. See the link in my original message for a picture of the tub piping. Thank you.

Reply To This Message

> does the water flow from the showerhead with the spout removed?

If I unscrew the tub water spout completely off, turn both hot or cold water valves ON, or only one valve, there is no water running from the shower head above.

If I screw the tub spout BACK ON, and turn on both water valves or even one of the valves, I get water coming out of the showerhead spout, with the shower head off or screwed back on.

It's like with water valves turned on, the tub spout restricts the water flow backing it up out of the showerhead. The tub spout is new? I just bought it. Why would a spout restrict water flow into a tub? Only my naive opinion, but isn't the idea to fill the tub asap?

John R

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

try a better quality spout

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

The easiest fix would be to go with Wheelchair's recommendation for the shower head that shuts off.

The first thing I would try would be to remove the elbow and the two galvanized pieces going to the tub spout. They are probably very corroded and causing back-pressure, thus forcing water to come out of the shower head. Replace them with brass.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

"replace them with brass." (or copper)

Reply To This Message

Unfortuately, we cannot tell if there is a restrictor in the valve at the point where the shower riser is connected, but your description of the problem indicates that it was a tub filler OR shower valve, NOT a tub filler AND shower valve, and someone just connected the shower riser to the valve. If that is the case, and it probably is, then you DO need the twin ell shown previously.

Reply To This Message

quote; Where would the "restrictor" go

It doesn't GO anywhere since it is installed by the manufacturer and you CANNOT retrofit one into the valve.

Reply To This Message

The spout does NOT "restrict" the flow into the tub, but it does introduce "backpressure" which is what causes your problem.

Reply To This Message

And once they are removed, replace the elbow with a twin ell, remove the shower riser from the top of the valve and connect it to the rear opening of the twin ell, then install a 3/4" nipple and a 3/4" diverter spout. IF there were a restrictor in the valve, it would be more likely to REDUCE the flow to the spout, NOT increase it to cause the problem.

Reply To This Message

I very much appreciate all of the suggestions and explanations. You are a wonderful source discussing sometimes frustrating issues. John R

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.