Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 cut off valve removal
Author: enobarb (NJ)

I want to change my leaking shut off valve under my sink. I can't get the old one off the 1/2 copper supply line. I don't think it's soldiered connection. Using two wrenches, I can get the value to move counter clockwise but NOT COME OFF the supply pipe. I'm afraid to use too much elbow grease because I fear I might break the 1/2 supply pipe.

Can anyone advise me? Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: cut off valve removal
Author: dcplumber (CA)

It sounds like it is a compression sleeve fitting. Turn off your water supply and using two wrenches. turn the angle stop valve counter clockwise to remove it. Now you can just thread in the new valve and tighten it. Some people try to remove the ferrel/compression sleeve and nut with a compression sleeve puller. That is up to you. If it is in a cabinet and hidden I would probably just leave it. If it is visible then you may want to change it.

Reply To This Message

OK. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i only change them when the old one has been tightened to much and thus wont let a new valve seal

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

I assume you mean one wrench to hold the 1/2 inch supply line in place while the other turns the valve counterclockwise?

I've tried that but no go. Maybe I'm not keeping the 1/2 supply line firmly in place because I'm afraid the wrench will bend or break it.

Can I really hold that 1/2 in place forcibly while I turn the valve counterclockwise? Should I use channellocks? An adjustable wrench? A monkey wrench?

Reply To This Message

Author: dcplumber (CA)

At this point you should hire a licensed plumber.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Or the old one has a "coarse thread" nut which will not work on the new valves.

Reply To This Message

DO NOT rotate the valve in ANY direction. Hold the valve and loosen the nut IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. It can be very tight sometimes, but if it is a compression connection it WILL loosen.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

HJ

When you say "in the RIGHT DIRECTION" do you mean CLOCKWISE?

THANKS

Reply To This Message

The nut will go "clockwise" from your orientation, but from the backside it will unscrew CCW, just like ALL right hand threads. This is one of those things that unless you/we understand HOW you are looking at it, it could be described either way.

Reply To This Message

Thanks, hj, I took your advice and have installed the new valves. But another problem has surfaced.

The water pressure is all of a sudden really low but only in the sink where I replaced the valves. I thought maybe I had put the new compression bolts on too tightly, so I loosened them a bit. Still the pressure was terrible. There's hardly any water at all coming from the hot or cold.

Any advice?

Reply To This Message

If the flow is constant, and does not change regardless of whether you open either one, or both valves, then the problem is in the faucet AFTER the point where hot and cold merge, which is usually in the aerator on the end of the faucet's spout. Remove it and see if the problem goes away.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.