Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Flow Restrictor
Author: hoops (CA)

I just bought a Speakman AnyStream 2005 Shower Head because it had such a good rating from Consumer Reports. However, I regret buying it now because the flow of water is terribly weak. I know it's illegal to remove the restrictor, but I have to throw this $50 plus shower head away if I can't get the restrictor out. I have tried to tear the shower head part, but have not had any success and I don't want to apply to much force while trying to unscrew the top and bottom of the shower head out of fear the plastic will break. Does anyone know what it takes to disassemble the Speakman AnyStream 2005 Shower Head shower head or does anyone know where I can get a parts diagram for this shower head?

Thanks in advance.

Reply To This Message

Re: Flow Restrictor
Author: hj (AZ)

The restrictor is usually right inside the opening where it fastens to the shower arm. There are usually NO repair parts available so disassembly and parts diagrams are seldom made.

Reply To This Message

Author: phillyplbg (PA)

You sure there is no debris in the shower head? I think they are a great shower head. I can tell you that the villanova basketball teams use them. So what if the height was set at 7'6" off ff

Reply To This Message

Author: phillyplbg (PA)

Did you check flow with shower head off?

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

the 1/2 ip connection and the head separate then with this ip x ball connection is removed you drive the restrictor out backwards.Be sure you have the rubber seal in place as this is reassembled.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

over 50 dollars for a plastic shower head???

Reply To This Message

Lemon Plumber, thanks so much for the info. With your info and picture I decided to try to take the top off the shower head again. It took a lot of force before it broke loose and it was tough to screw it all the way off. It turns out the manufacturer made the head not to be torn apart. They used epoxy or something else on the threads. I'm actually surprised the top piece screwed off without harming the plastic threads. Next time I buy a shower head I'll come here first to find a shower head that can easily be torn apart.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for your contributions and special thanks to Lemon Plumber for providing the right info.

To answer some other questions:

The shower head is brand new and the old shower head was about the same as this new one until I removed the restrictor in it so flow is not a problem and there are no restrictions that I can see nor does it appear there are. And yes, the shower head cost about $55.

Thanks

Edited 4 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

80% percent plus, of the world's drinking waters come from the Great Lakes. And yet with all that water, we still take measures to conserve those precious assets. Maybe, its because we can't grow oranges and grapefruits.
Removing a restrictor, provides YOU with more water then your neighbors. But then again You are worth it, more then they...
May you enjoy your new found freedom.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

We do not usually "tear shower heads apart", so we might not be a lot of help in that area.

Reply To This Message

It is like the Bugatti Verion. As long as people will pay for it, they will charge what they want to.

Reply To This Message

HJ & Packy, Google shower heads and you will see that $50 is kinda in the middle price range for shower heads. Also, once you've experienced a better shower head than the ones you get at a low price you'll never go back to the cheapies. There's a big difference.

As for conserving water, I am. I use to stay in the shower for ten minutes and sometimes stay until the water started getting colder and now I take five minute showers so I guess you can say I've cut my shower usage in half.

Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A showerhead... is only as good as the water supply system which supports it. If a building was supported by a water supply which had less gallon per minute flow or less pressure then normal...it would affect a showerhead, actually any showerhead. Some years back a shower head was introduced to the commerical market which offerred .5/.75 gallon per minute flow. It was bulletshape and used the force of water pressure to provide a wide spray. It also found its way into the residential market later. Homeowners didn't like it because it didn't offer the best shower.. just the savings. I think most of the problems were related to the lack of constant water pressure.

A Gold Plated shower head that costs 1/2 the price of a new car will not give you the water flow, if you have a defective water supply or lack necessary pressure. And then again, the issue of agressive water. That too will affect the outcome of a shower. I understand that some like it HOT, some like the spray and others like the feeling of being drenched.

As HJ expressed, it all depends on what one can afford....
Enjoy what you have
Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Island plumber (ME)

I also took a Speakman 2005 apart because the gasket around the swivel ball was torn and leaking. About a $2 part but Speakman doesn't make it easy to find parts. Otherwise, a fantastic head!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.