Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Old kohler mixing valve
Author: Mhkco (VT)

I have just had a new rennai tanless propane hot water heater instalked into my 30+ yera old house. Noe the hot water inthe showers will not get hot enough. The hot water is rated to get 120 degress but is not gettibg tat hot ( i can run my hand under the water at full turn on the valve.) A plummer is telling me the only fix is to replace the mixing valves which is a difficult and expensive job because he says he needs to get into the walls behind the shower walls.

Is there not an adjustment in this existing mixing valve
that would allow more hot water to flow? previous to this new heater we only had to turn the valve a half turn to get a very hot shower. The mixing valve is in two showers that are also 30+ years old and are all-in-one tub/shower units made of some kind of heavy plastic or acrylic no tile .

Thanks for your help midge

Reply To This Message

Re: Old kohler mixing valve
Author: hj

Before you do anything, have the water heater checked to be sure it is actually producing that water.

Reply To This Message

Author: Mhkco (VT)

There is plenty of hot water coming out of the fucets inthe kitchen and batroom sinks. s So it is a prb with the shower

Reply To This Message

Author: m & m (MD)

Run the shower on full hot at half speed and see what kind of temp you get then. If the faucet produces 120* water at lesser volume, it would mean that the problem is with the tankless.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Like others have said, it might be within the water heater. I hope the plumber sized it correctly. The water may be going through the water heater to fast, which does not give the heater a chance to heat it properly. What model did you get?

Reply To This Message

Author: Scott the Plumber (PA)

You live in Vermont. Don't dismiss the possibility that the demand (gallons per minute) of your fixture when compared to the ambient temperature of your incoming water are the problem. A number of houses above the Mason-Dixon line are NOT good candidates for tankless unless you have the properly sized appliance installed. The charts are on the manufacturer's web site. Check cold water temperature at a sink closest to where the tankless unit is, using a meat thermometer. If after about a minute the temp is 55 degrees or below, the tankless may not be able to compensate for the differential in temperature. Manufacturer may also have a hotline to assist.
I'm saying essentially the same thing as SMSPlumbing with the addition that desire to save money and desire to make money on both ends of the customer-plumber relationship result in the installation of tankless heaters that are inappropriate for many situations. Pipe sizing, fixture demand, pressure, etc. should also be considered when consumers request tankless heaters. In some circumstances, the customers are willing to gamble with the chance that they will be dissatisfied with the performance because they want the newest coolest thing on the market, but also I've heard plumbers recommend them to make a big sale without considering the true needs of the customer.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Is the kohler valve in the shower a single handle?If so it may have a hot limit setting please post a picture if it s a single handle mixer.[www.kohlerserviceparts.kohler.com] this will load slow may may help you remove a low temp setting if so equipped.

Reply To This Message

NOT necessarily. The sinks use a LOT less water flow so the heater COULD make hot enough water for them, but might not be able to keep up with the higher flow for the shower. The only way to know for sure is to test the output of the water heater.

Reply To This Message

Sorry HJ.As far as I know the Renia will.As with other top of the line tank-less heater's. Deliver more than is needed at high flow plus.This makes me lean toward a governed shower valve.Sorry .I did hang the on site plumber out to dry. If this is the case.I should have Hi-lightened older single handle!Many still miss the old brass governed.Poster please turn the shower to hot as high as is possible then turn on the sink next to it.is the sink hotter than the shower when both are running?now add the next nearest hot fixture full flow is it also staying hot while the other sink is and still the shower has not.This leaves the hot as limited or the pressure balance or the delivery tubing to the shower as ?HJ.

Reply To This Message

YOU, I, and everyone else could spend hours or days guessing about this person's problems, but the only way to cure them is for someone to actually be THERE and do the proper diagnosis.

Reply To This Message

I left the playing field when his plumber said remove the in wall Kohler valves.I love the old stuff more than the new.Replace fouled tubing I may have bought.Yes, it is hard to/ guess\ .

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms