Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 plumbing a water heater ?
Author: cvcman (NY)

I am going to replace my 20 yr old elect waterheater. It has ss flex lines now going to threaded copper. Is this a good way to d the new one too ?? Reuse the flex or new ??

Also do I need dieelectric unions ?

Reply To This Message

Re: plumbing a water heater ?
Author: tato

always a good idea to replace supply lines, and if you don't install dielectric use brass nipples.

Reply To This Message

I have 1/2" copper then it goes to 3/4" threaded . Would i be better off just putting a threaded 3/4" dieelectric and leave the copper threaded on the supply lines and use ss felx hoses ?

Reply To This Message

I have seen others here say use a 3/4 x 6 " brass nipple. Now if I come out of the wh with the brass nipples and connect a copper nut to the supply end isnt that 2 dissimilar metals ??

Also where the nipple screws into the tank isnt that 2 dissimilar metals ??? I must be missing something

Reply To This Message

Also does the new water heater come with male threaded nipples ? I thought I have seen some that had like a red and blue plastic insert in them ?? Mine just look like aluminum straight thru nipples with no inserts in them ???

Thanks for the help !

Reply To This Message

Ok I guess the plastic insert things are heat traps.

Hers my ?

1) do I need the heat traps and any down side to using them ?

2) do the heat traps thread right into the tank or on top of a nipple ?

3) what should I use to thread into the tank, 6" brass nipple ?

4 My dissimilar metals questions above??

5) should I use braided ss flex lines or hard copper to connect ??

Thanks

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

1) do I need the heat traps and any down side to using them ?
If they're provided, use them. Otherwise use brass nipples.

2) do the heat traps thread right into the tank or on top of a nipple ?
They screw into the tank.

3) what should I use to thread into the tank, 6" brass nipple ?
See #1

4 My dissimilar metals questions above??
No problem with brass into the tank or copper to brass.

5) should I use braided ss flex lines or hard copper to connect ??
Your choice, flexible stainless, flexible copper or hard pipe(no copper to galvanized nipples-use brass nipples or at least brass unions to heat trap nipples).
Stay away from dielectric unions.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

whoo/twenty year old ss tubes.through them away .And hard pipe today.

Reply To This Message

the tank is 2o yrs old and the supply lines are ss braided waterheater flex and they are about 1o yrs old but I wouldnt use them over.So...if the new one comes with heat traps what material are they made of ??

If it doesnt come with them I assume by you saying use brass nipples that the heat traps are NOT that big a deal, correct ?

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

get the new corrogated waterflexs and put it in the way the old one was. should have 3/4 in and out to the house but until you need a repipe and have it ( the house) sized just use what you got....good luck

Reply To This Message

what do they look like ?? I will have to cut the 1/2" supply and solder on a 1/2 to 3/4 threaded on one supply to be able to use a 3/4 to 3/4 female threaded flex

Reply To This Message

Author: vic (CA)

I personally like corrugated stainless water heater flexes to connect from water heaters to copper, galvanized, or plastic piping:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Reply To This Message

here comes my disimilar metals ? again, ss to copper ????

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

ss is an inert metal,it does not react with other metals

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

All installations of dissimilar metals are NOT problematic. The specific dissimilar metals is what causes the problem. The new heater will have preinstalled nipples and you do NOT change them to brass. The majority of "flexible connections" ARE intrinsically dielectric so you do not need any additional ones. (They don't work and are just cosmetic anyway.)

Reply To This Message

didnt know they came with the nipples. Again the heat traps are not really needed then . Question, I have an 80 gallon elect model now that is on a day/night meter so it only comes on during the evening. There are 2 of us in the house and this works fine.

IF and I do mean IF I chg this to a regular 40 gallon on a day meter would it cost me more to run ?

Reply To This Message

Of course, but a 40 gallon electric heater is absolutely worthless for most applications. I would not use less than a 50 gallon, but with a night demand meter, a 50 gallon would not store enough hot water to get through a day before it went cold.

Reply To This Message

so... are you saying stay with the 80 gallon day night over a 50 gallon day ??

Also compare the above to a power vent natural gas water heater

Reply To This Message

also where do you buy the ss flex ?? looked at Home Depot all they had were copper

Reply To This Message

The electric bill will be sustantially less. Gas is always better than electic, unless you live in an area, such as the TVA, where rates are highly subsidized.

Reply To This Message

Ok but the power vent water heater is easy double the cost of the gas 80 gallon. How much would you assume I would save over being on the night meter ??

Reply To This Message

I don't know what propane, or electricity, costs in your area, so it is impossible to calculate it. ANd why would you need a "power vent" model?

Reply To This Message

well I dont have a spot to put it in next to a wall for the DV and I dont want it going thru the roof. I have had electric for 24 years

Reply To This Message

its NG not propane. I think im at 1.25 per therm and around .08 kh for electric at night

Reply To This Message

The heat traps provided are just a manufacturers end/to get energy rating,s to extend.the plastic lined nipples do work to stop some hard water quirks.but only at the small side would they be called worth. some now make the male as the anode too.Read the product that you buy and see what they say.but call customer tech and ask them to explain.As said use new ss flex and connect.

Reply To This Message

where can I buy the ss flex ?? I didnt see them at Home Depot

Reply To This Message

Must not be a very good HD store, since all of them around here sell them.

Reply To This Message

you dont mean the braided style right ? I will check Lowes tomorrow why are the ss better than the copper ?

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

You can buy the SS flex at the sponsors website PlumbingSupply.com, I use either full SS mechanical or CU Sweat/SS mechanical

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

not sure what either of those are. pls explain, thx

Reply To This Message

Twenty posts above with love!

Reply To This Message

Author: steve (CA)

vs

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms