Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Second water line from existing well?
Author: WarrenPFJr (NY)

Hi there,

I recently built a barn behind my house and would like to hook it up with water. I hope to someday put a studio/office on the second floor of the barn so i want to be sure this is done right.

I was hoping i could tap into my current well and run a second water line to the barn. Is this possible?

Currently my water pump is in the well. Is there a chance I would be able to use that pump or do i need to purchase an additional pump that could handle 2 lines??

This seems like a cheaper option than having an additional well drilled.

Any thoughts or comments/concerns from you professionals?

Reply To This Message

Re: Second water line from existing well?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Sure you can use the existing well, and mostly likely use the existing pump, asuuming your studio isn't vastly higher than the well. All you'll need to do is cut a tee in the existing line and run a new line to the studio. If you have a check valve at your pressure tank inside, it will need to be removed and moved to the well head , other than that you should be good to go. Depending on your wells GPM- static water level, pumps GPM, future water needs, you may need to increase the size of the existing pressure tank. That will be easy enough to do later on if it becomes neccesary. And you can tee in before the pressure tank, contrary to what some may say.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

You can do either what NC stated or you can tie into the line inside the house and run a line to the barn. This way you do not have to move the check valve and you will also have a valve in the house to shut off water to the barn when not in use or for repairs.

Reply To This Message

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Ditto what SMS and NC said, with a word to use the same diameter pipe (not smaller) where you tee into for the run to the studio. Depending on GPM, you may have to take turns using multiple fixtures. A small consideration compared to the cost of a new seperate well. :)

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

How "elegant" do you want to be with it. The best system would be to have its own storage tank, connected between the existing tank and the pump's check valve. That way, the existing pressure switch would control its pressure, and the tank would minimize pressure drops and give maximum volume.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

HJ say's elegant.I say working.you have 2 or more horses in the ground then work the tubing/save it from working by adding a second holding tank\ checked between delivered sources.Or you could leave the checks out and oversize the used tank as other have half right suggested.Boy's have to size the toy's!Or you work the little ones too hard!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is "elegant" because just running a pipe from the existing system, whether before or after the storage tank, but after the check valve, would GIVE water, but maybe not as stable a flow.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.