Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Drain check valves
Author: DougR (OH)

I have a Zoeller sewage receiver tank with integral trash pump. I need to install a non-clogging check valve to prevent backflow into the tank. Right now, it is short cycling due to the significant amount of return flow after shutoff. I have a standard check valve in line but it is obviously not working properly. Needs to mount vertically and is in a 1 1/2" PVC line. Brands or suppliers would be most helpful. Thanks, Doug

Reply To This Message

Re: Drain check valves
Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Any of these would work. I personally like the compression one. That way if it goes bad you just have to take it apart and replace. Just install a valve upstream so that you can close it when you need to access the check valve.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: phillyplbg (PA)

Are you sure its not a 2" line?

Reply To This Message

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am sure. It is downstream from a trash pump and only moves the slurry about 60 feet to the treatment tank. 2" would have been better but on the day I got the urge to install the line, I only had 1.5" on hand so that is what it got. Later, when I purchased the pump I found it had a two inch outlet. No worries, only two people on the system and neither one of us is full of it, BS or otherwise. The feminine side of the pair also disposes of part of the paper waste in the trash. This house is in Mexico and sometimes, you have to do with what is available.

Reply To This Message

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure any of them will work? I notice that some state for horizontal use only.
While I am in the US, I want to make sure I get the proper valve. The one I have installed now just refuses to work properly and allows most of what was pumped to return to the tank due to the location of the pump well below the level of the treatment tank. There is an air gap in the tank at the outlet of the pipe, otherwise, I might have one "H" of a siphon.

Reply To This Message

Hi,
Another question!! Has anyone ever used a ball check valve? They are claimed to be virtually clog free and can be used in any position. Unfortunately, I can only find them from a company in India. They seem to be of very high quality - made of cast with brass seat and nomex sealing ball. Haven't been able to find anything like it in the US. Any thoughts?

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I might suggest you change both checks.use reducing couplings to reduce size if/ motor stop hammer\ exist's. Otherwise, bushing.PCVSW20S.on the sponsors site.Some may not approve of increasing the check size.but you have developed a high output pressure on your system.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

A swing check will work just fine in the vertical position. The weight of the water will close the check valve. What you may be getting is small amounts of waste that is stuck in the current valve. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned. Toilet paper can stick to the gate and cause it to leak through

Reply To This Message

A check on dwv should be self cleaning.the flow rate /back pressure must be considered.Do not make me ask him to use brass over sized check valves.

Reply To This Message

Sorry, I should have been more forthcoming in my original post. I currently have a two inch full brass swing check valve mounted in the vertical position on a 1 1/2" line. I failed to mention that I am looking specifically for non-clog ball or rubber duckbill checks. The existing check as installed is not self cleaning and has been a constant source of irritation since it's installation. I am retired and my time is best spent on the links, watching TV, chasing the "babes" (over forty need not apply) and Oh yeah, beer & tequila. All the aforementioned things are much more fun that cleaning "dooty" soaked paper from the seat of a check - even if it is my own sweet smelling brew!!
Seriously, ball checks seem to be the best choice for no clog operation - they can be mounted in just about any position just as long as the ball is on the up side. I just can,t find a supplier in the US. A company in India makes a nice unit but does not distribute to our side of the world.
The folks at Plbg com suggest a check from liberty pumps made for their sump pumps but they do not make any no clog claims. Any thoughts??

Reply To This Message

Lager surface /second check.Switch toilet paper!Sorry a floating back water check is not what you think your looking for.I consider it a failure valve.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms