Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Moen diverter stuck
Author: vitesse (TX)

I'm trying to repair a Moen shower diverter. The part number is 94543. I can't get the diverter out of its housing. I've read about both the clip that holds in certain cartridges, and the one that rotates out. I don't think this particular cartridge has a clip. But I don't see a flat or anything to allow me to rotate the diverter out. I've got the brass nut out exposing most of the front of the diverter.

Here is a diagram of what I have (not the first drawing in the PDF, the second, older one):
[www.moen.com]

Here is what I am looking at right now:
[imgur.com]

Edit: Soaked it in CLR, and the valve just pulls out.
Any ideas?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Moen diverter stuck
Author: dlh (TX)

grab and pull hard. the o-ring is probably whats keeping it from pulling out. it may come out in pieces but if your replacing it that wont matter as long as you get all the pieces out

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I agree but advise rotating and pulling forward.then flash lite inspect for lost rubber seal before the new one is installed.

Reply To This Message

Author: bill plumber (FL)

20$ cheap Lowes or Home Depot Moen cartridge puller.

Reply To This Message

Bill not really going to work on this plastic rubber sleeved stem.the shank is at the brass on un-install.Heat for plumbers works!!!

Reply To This Message

Author: bill plumber (FL)

Lemon in all seriousness can you pull that diverter with a Moen cartridge remover?

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I would put the handle screw back in and grab it with vise-grips then tap it out with a hammer.

Reply To This Message

Author: plumbdude36 (OH)

I have found that if you drill several holes in the cartridge(small dia bit) that usually works, just keep digging. never came accross one that i coudnt get out. may take some time but it will come out.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

You might want to back up a few inches before taking another picture, because the one you took does not show anything about your valve, except the end of the stem.

Reply To This Message

I tried but then found the barrel .It has a rubber gromet that sticks bad .It is a newer/3 handle valve\ that is most often melted by diy.But like all moen carts.if you can rotate it you can remove it!The failure is it sticks and will not divert.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.