Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 how to get water out of copper pipe to solder it properly
Author: catpace (OH)

All the soldering with the copper pipes has been going ok. But theres one pipe that seems to be giving us a problem. How do you solder the copper pipe with water in it. We have tried sucking the water out with a straw..but that didnt seem to work. It will not solder with even the slightest amount of water.
Hope you can help,

thanks

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: how to get water out of copper pipe to solder it properly
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Nope make a bread ball and stuff it up into the pipe to keep the solder joint dry!

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

Whenever there is water or any moisture in the pipe steam will develop and pressurize the pipe so the solder can't flow in. You need to have an open end in the line somewhere that will let the pressure out as you are heating the pipe. Water in piping is a challenge even for well seasoned technicians, so don't feel bad.
Another thing they may help is suck back on the piping at a low point to get that standing water out of the system, of blowing it out with compressed air.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

When the water, left inside the pipe, wants to pool at the point that I'm trying to solder, I will find another place to pull the pipe down so that it is the lower point. Usually about 5 feet away, or more if possible, in the direction from which the water is coming.

Good luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

sounds like a built up pressure problem..open a valve somewhere or faucet

mapp gas works better too.

could be the torch your using

if all else fails use a sharkbite

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i like to use a wet-vac and then solder as quick as possible

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

I open a faucet above it and open one below after I take the joint apart then I drain as much water out as possible by moving the pipe up and down as much as will allow. Next I clean the joints to a shine and prepare the fitting. Last, I move the pipe up and down, drain again, in case of anymore water settling in it, then flux and solder in a speedy manner.:)

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: sieradeby84 (CA)

Hi..
You can try the bread thing but you need to drain the system first. Once the main shutoff valve is closed opening fixtures below and above the fitting will allow it to drain. If you are in the crawl space prepare to get wet or use a bucket as the fixture won't drain anything below them. If you are cutting into just the hot or cold then shut off the hot water tank valve so water doesn't syphon out and thus taking longer to drain. If electric water heater turn it off at the circuit breaker so the elements don't burn out in case it does syphon. Make sure the solder flows all way around the fitting and drips off the bottom. If it doesn't take then water is still in there (it doesn't take much). Make sure you are confident in your joints or you will have to repeat the whole process over if it leaks.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

i have never turned the water heater valve off because they usually do not siphon

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Dlh the heater can be a problem if it is heating the water.

Reply To This Message

having a faucet open will stop that problem

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

True .if the joint is above the open fixture . draining a little water off the tank works too.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.