Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Hear water running in pipes wall, but no faucets on
Author: Florida Bob (FL)

Could hear water running in pipes in wall in master bath (one wall on backside of shower and the other just adjacent to that), but no faucets or shower on, no leaky toilets eithe, no outside spigots on either. Even closed lines to toilets just to make sure, but still could hear sound of water running. Turned water to house off just make sure I wasn't crazy and hearing things, and noise stopped. Thought I must have a leak. Looked everywhere for signs of water coming out of walls inside and out, but nothing (only place I can't look is under tub--we're in slab on grade foundation in South Florida and there's a hole in slab where tub goes). Pulled cover off single valve shower faucet and thought I would hear sound of spraying leak in there but nothing, and felt no water on the piping around faucet which I could reach. Almost started cutting drywall on wall on back of shower to get better look, but right before I did that, I reassembled shower faucet. I turned shower faucet on 3 times quickly and sound of running water in walls stopped. Could a faulty single valve faucet cause the sound of running water in the pipes but no actual water leaking anywhere? The house was built in 1978 and it looks like the original cartridge. I just want to be sure I'm not leaking a ton of water internally under the house or something and the next thing I'm in a big sinkhole. Thanks for your help.

Reply To This Message

Re: Hear water running in pipes wall, but no faucets on
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

The water meter is your friend if you have one.take a wet rag and clean the face of the meter off.look for a very small spiked chrome wheel or a red triangle on the face of the meter.it will be moving if you are using water.these little wheels are very sensitive.May even move backward when the city pressure drops.Next time you hear this noise check this meter movement as it is or is not using water.As far as crossing of a valve making the noise.it would be very unusual with out water being used in the system some where.You do not have any hose faucets turned on with the hoses sprayer stopping the flow do you?some times a hose vb can call your attention .Let us know how you may out.

Reply To This Message

Author: Florida Bob (FL)

I got city water a couple years ago, so I do have a meter and will check that and get back to you. Thanks Lemon!

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Not sure about the shower valve but make sure your pop off valve at the water heater is not discharging.

.... X. X

....................... Good Luck .........................

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

You HAVE an underslab leak. If you still have some hot water at the faucets it has not gotten to the point where it is leaking a "ton of water", yet, but it will get there eventually. When that happens your water heater will run 24 hours a day, but your water will be cold. AT that point, some plumbers, not knowing any better, will replace the water heater, but it will not cure the problem.

Reply To This Message

Author: bill plumber (FL)

Way too soon to tell him he has a slab leak Hj. Other possibilities such as leaking T&P and or relief valve piped outside, water closet flush valve etc. isolate water heater and check meter as Lemon said.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

True but all of them have external signs of leakage, assuming he has walked all around the house looking for a sign of water. And not all of them are "continuous" either. From here, all we have to go on is HIS evaluation, and we have no idea how complete, or superficial, it was.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dina4 (FL)

Our hot water has not been working, its only 5 years old and in good condition. my husband replaced the elements and its still not hot. He was going to try and replace a few other things. But i keep hearing this water running sound in the walls behind shower, and no leaks. Do i have an underground leak, if so how do i proceed? How costly is this. I live in florida with slab construction.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms