Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 What's the usual shutoff valve size for kitchen sink?
Author: Velvetfoot (NY)

I'm thinking 3/8" compression?

Reason I'm asking is that I may add a non-softened line to an island sink. All the fixtures in the kitchen are hard-piped (copper) from 1/2" ball valves. I'll probably use stainless braided supplies, which come in several sizes. Bath fixtures are 3/8" compression.

Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: What's the usual shutoff valve size for kitchen sink?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

1/2 ips x 3/8 compression or 1/2 ips x 1/2 compression

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Most kitchen sinks have 1/2" copper lines roughed into the sink cabinet. The normal sink valve would be a 5/8" X 3/8" angle compression stop which is on mostly all the residential sinks I see.

Often though a tee may be installed with two indvidual "compression stops" installed.

I usually rough in 2 hot waters and 2 cold waters for kitchen sinks and also been noticing other homes with the same. Most homes use one hot water for the dishwasher. An extra cold water could always be used for a water filter system or an instant hot water faucet. (for coffee or tee)

... XXX . . . X

............................. Good Luck ....

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

The normal Brasscraft compression valves for 1/2" copper are labeled as 1/2", not 5/8"

Reply To This Message

Thanks. I'm still a little unclear. For the shutoff valve sweated onto 1/2" pipe, which would be more commone, a 3/8" or 1/2" compression outlet? Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

CR1900 or 1901.Brass craft dual stops5/8" compression on copper or cpvc and others x 3/8 compression supply tubing.I would suggest dual stop this type application when hiding ss tubing in unaccessible installs!!the shut off in the same room although not at the fixture local.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Thanks swimrunplumb for catching that and clearing up the line size. I don't want to confuse things anymore than needed.

3/8" would be fine for a kitchen faucet and is probably the most common size used with the stainless steel flex connectors.

... XXX X

.............. Good Luck .....................

Reply To This Message

Thanks, 3/8" it is then.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Here, the 1/2" x 1/2" is called a "slip joint" because it uses a 1/2" ips thread, which was traditionally used with a "cone washer" for the seal.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Either, but a "soldered on" valve would the the rarity here, and in most places. But you use the same size supply tubes as on the outlet of the valve, whatever size that is.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

I usually just put sweat shutoffs under the kitchen because I have the torch down there anyway putting in the 2 tee's for the dishwasher and hammer arrestor. I use compression everywhere else.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.