Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Max Pitch for Washer Drain?
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Hi; Generally, the minimum drain line pitch (fall) for a 2" washer drain is 1/4" per foot. Yes? If there was an 18 foot run for a 2" washer drain that had an 18" drop, (1 inch per foot) Would that be OK, or too much pitch? (the drain WILL tie above into a bathroom 3" vent)
Is there such a thing as TOO much fall on a Vented drain run?
Sincere thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Max Pitch for Washer Drain?
Author: chicago plumber (IL)

i dont think there is a thing as too much pitch. the more the better.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Well our codes just changed to dis agree with the over eight feet on two inch is wrong.We now have ten feet.at 1/4"per foot the pipe at eight foot,the flow should cut off it's hydraulic level at pov.We also have been allowed to reduce the pitch to 1/8"per foot on 2" so may be too much fall is bad.The washing machine discharge is a hard to minimize fixture.Could you change this long run to 3"?/lessing the effect of foamed flow?.Any vent below your tie in point would be bubbled/cut off.Include major fixtures.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

you discanbobulated your math...1/4 in. per foot is 4.5 in grade. but if you have the room 1/2 per foot is better on a washer drain..1/4 is code minimum,there is no max.

Reply To This Message

Sincere thanks for your reply. Good to know there is no max. This would be a job in a crawlspace from, well, you know where, so it is good to learn before I slither back into the hole! :)

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

As long as the vent is within the required distance from the trap, there is no maximum pitch. However, in you example, the vent would have to be less than 2' from the trap.

Reply To This Message

Thanks, HJ. A 2" vent will rise up next to the trap and hook into a 3" roof vent, it's good to know there is no max fall on the drain. Faster drain the better huh?

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

No one has ever had to clear a drain that plugged up because of 'too much pitch'.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

We were taught too much pitch would leave paper and solids behind and that is why pitch was to be kept at a constant grade and not more than 1/4" per foot. In the case of a washer I could see that it is not as much a concern.

Reply To This Message

Author: CHayn (IL)

too much pitch could make the pipe enter your fittings at too much of an angle. Make sure you have a good connection! Good Luck!

Reply To This Message

You were taught wrong and never learned the truth.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

That subject has been studied over the years, and from what I have read in places like PMEngineer and IAPMO's 'Official', it has been refuted. Testing apparently does NOT support the theory that the water will outrun the waste.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

then how do they explain sluicing for gold? lighter objects flow while heavier are left behind.

Reply To This Message

They are being trapped by a dam, either by a sluice box, or swirling the pan, and the water is allowed to run off. If it were true, then the gold would have been left behind as soon as the stream took a steep downturn, and you could go up to the first dropoff and pick all the gold you wanted to.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Yes. The pan has ridges around the wall, which in the hands of a skillful panner give you the same effect that happens in the streams...heavier stuff is slowed down by the interference of the ridges or the rough bottom of the stream bed.

And of course, in a sewer pipe, any interference points DO collect wastes, especially something like paper or other debris which can snag on something.

Reply To This Message

Author: royboy (SC)

The IPC minimum pitch for a 2" washer drain line is 45 degrees. You can use 2" pipe for verticle which is 45 or more degrees. Anything 44 degrees or less must be 3" or larger.

Reply To This Message

Author: chicago plumber (IL)

old timers and their plumbing urban legends.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

royboy, what are you talking about? 45 degrees pitch as a minimum? not in any ipc code book i have ever seen. in fact i have never seen a code mention degrees for slope. i have seen engineers use 2% slope for utility piping but nothing in a plumbing code

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Thank you. You are so right; an 18' straight run at 1" per foot would not line up correctly at the ends. I'll have to use a pair of 22-1/2 degree offset unions somewhere in the middle where a floor beam support exists in this little crawlspace from he**. In some places there's only 10" to wiggle under. I appreciate all advice before I slither back into that hole!

Reply To This Message

they dont have to be placed in the middle. you could offset the line anywhere you want between the 2 points

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Too much pitch makes it too slippery for the alligators to walk up the pipe.

Reply To This Message

Set the offset as close to the fixture drain as possible.It will reduce draw own on foaming.

Reply To This Message

I was refering to the fact that 2" pipe can only be used in the verticle. 45 degrees is verticle so less than 45 is horizontal and must change to 3" pipe for the horizontal run.

Reply To This Message

oh

you say that is in the ipc? what section? because i havent seen it

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I've always thought that ANYTHING which was not horizontal was NOT horizontal, and now I find out that it is still horizontal until it reachs 46 degrees. I guess that means that when I offset a low vent at 30 degrees using a 1/6 bend, the inspectors are going to have to start rejecting it because it will not evacuate properly. Not likely to happen.

Reply To This Message

Yep, I learned that in the annual required code class about 3" pipe on wash machine horizontal drains. A 45 bend or more is considered a verticle offset. Anything less than 45 is a horizontal. The instructor said they were told to warn the plumber on the first time but after that, it's a red tag. I have one inspector who turned me down on putting a hanger on a 3" vent at 4'-4" so they are IMHO too nitpicky on some things.

Reply To This Message

ok, you made me go look it up.

as far as the 2006 ipc is concerned

section 406.3 says, "the automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3" in diameter."

it makes no mention whether the 2" line can or can not run horizontal before having to tie into a 3" line

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

We were told that this issue is clarified in the 2009 amendments. By the way dlh, I appreciate a lot of your answers. They show that you have run into some interesting problems. Keep up the good work!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

ah, well then that would explain my ignorance since my area has at least another year or 2 under the 2006 code before cities start reviewing their charters (which is when they usually change their codes if at all)

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

A branch drain with or with or without offsets or sub sections ?SEE Horizontal branch.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms