Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Lowering a toilet flange
Author: rdbertino (NJ)

I just removed an mortar bed and tiles from a bathroom and the flange is now 1 1/2 in" above the sub-floor. When I put new flooring down the flange will end up about 7/8" above the finished floor. I assume this is a problem. The flange appears to be copper and the 3" pipe it is connected to is cooper. The flange looks like it is connected to a about a 10"piece of pipe that is inserted down into the waste pipe. It appears to be one piece because I can feel a seam just below the flange on the outside wall of the pipe leading me to believe it is sitting on the waste pipe. Is the flange typically sweated on or can I pry it loose and cut the pipe lower and replace. Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Reply To This Message

Re: Lowering a toilet flange
Author: packy (MA)

you can heat the joint on the flange, pry it loose and lift it off.
it will be tricky to cut the pipe that is sticking up but it can be done. put the old flange back on, orient the bolt holes properly and solder it. solder can be added from the top.
if the cut you make on the copper tubing looks like a baloney cut, peen the copper over and solder it the way it is. it will be fine. use 50/50 lead bearing solder if you can.

Reply To This Message

Author: rdbertino (NJ)

I ended up cutting the sub-floor around the pipe so I could gain access to cut it properly. Heating the joint did eventually allow me to remove it so I was able to reuse the flange. Thanks for the advice.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Was the tile floor originally higher than the adjacent one, or do you now have a "step down" because of the thinner floor?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.