Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Offset Toilet Flange
Author: Supertug (GA)

I need to move a toilet flange in order to install a toilet that sits higher for my elderly mother. The unit states it must be 12 1/2" from the wall however the flange bolts are 9 1/2" from the wall and this is from the drywall, not the baseboard trip.

Is it possible to use an offset flange or will it be necessary to reposition the flange? I have access to the plumbing from the crawlspace, however the drain pipe is next to a joist and I fear that
would need to cut the joist ( which I do know I don't want to do ).

I will do what ever I have to make this work but I prefer the easy way out. What I will not do is anything that will damage the floor joist and make the home unsafe. I thank any and all in advance for your advice and suggestions

Reply To This Message

Re: Offset Toilet Flange
Author: Supertug (GA)

Let me edit this. The last two words in the last sentence of the first paragraph should read baseboard strip. I have also been informed that the toilet may be mounted from between 10" to 12" away from the wall so it looks like all I need is an offset of about 1/2' to 3/4". I again thank all in advance for your assistance...Supertug.

Reply To This Message

Author: GREENplumb (GA)

How about a 10" rough ADA toilet, they make them and would require no altering of the Plumbing. Have you already got the toilet? Can you take it back? I would. A 10" rough toilet cost more than a 12" rough. But if you have to move Plumbing, header floor joist,new toilet flange, fittings, glue/primer,nails,ect... that's also expensive and labor intensive. HOw bout it man, whatch gonna do.

Reply To This Message

Let me edit this now, nevermind a 10" rough toilet WILL WORK WITH WHAT YOU GOT SIR. I would buy a TOTO DRAKE toilet for her. You only got 1 MOM ,treat her good. Your Welcome

Reply To This Message

Author: bnplmb (NY)

the first thing that i would try to do is to return that unit and get one made for the specs that u have. good luck

Reply To This Message

Author: bnplmb (NY)
the first thing that i would try to do is to return that unit and get one made for the specs that u have. good luck

Where do you get them made at sir?

Reply To This Message

Author: bnplmb (NY)

green i was saying the thing that u said just in laymans terms. what i meant was return the toilet, tell the supply house the issue with the flange and they will give u a toilet that fits(ie a 10" rough toilet).

Reply To This Message

And what-if the supply house is Home-Depot/Lowes? Thanks for you help?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: ironranger (MN)

Call a plumber asap.

Reply To This Message

Author: dickr (NY)

around here home depot will take anything back. if you don't have a receipt you have to take store credit.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

What kind of toilet has an adjustable outlet, other than the Toto UniFit adapter? Your first posting must have had an error, because NO manufacturer would make a toilet that needed 12 1/2". An offset collar, assuming one would fit your application, which it might not, will move the opening about 1 1/2".

Reply To This Message

Author: mccarty.74 (OH)

I've got two questions for you guys. I think the only thing on this forum everyone agrees on is the superior quality of the Toto Drake toilet. I've never installed one and was just wondering why everybody gives it such a ringing endorsement. Secondly, does anybody adamently oppose offset flanges, and if so is it because it tends to clog more often?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

the over all quality of toto is undeniable and yes they tend to clog more often. if you must use an offset flange py attention to how the offset is made, some are worse than others

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

dlh, is it the longevity, GPF, price? I just want to know because if it's that strong of an argument from you guys I'll start using them immediately.

Reply To This Message

for one they are the company everyone else copies. they made the 1.6 gal work after no one else could and came out with 3" glazed trapways which everyone followed. they are the trend setters and i have not gotten one toilet of theirs that had a problem

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I know we're not supposed to talk prices on here so I'll just ask if they're comparable. Also, do they make a corner unit?

Reply To This Message

to builder grade toilets? NO to other decent toilets? YES

i have never had the need for a corner unit so i have never checked thus i have no idea

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Not everyone is onboard the Toto wagon. I have only installed one or two of them, and they were customer furnished. The type of offset collar depends on your results. The ones with an oval opening also have a "shelf" under the toilet outlet so they will plug faster and easier. Eljer Triangle is the only corner toilet I know of.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Eljer is the only one I know of too..

Reply To This Message

American Standard makes a Triangle Toilet. we call um "cornermodes".

Reply To This Message

This is the first time I have even heard of the American Standard Titan. I'll bet they sell a ton of them, now that they have cut Eljer's share of the markey in half. I'll bet if they made 50 of them, that is about a 10 year supply.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.