Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Anti-Siphon cap on sillcock is leaking
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

I thought someone asked this before but I couldn't find the thread.

The anti-siphon cap is leaking on my frost free sillcock, but only when the water is turned on and in use. There's no leak inside the house and the valve shuts off completely. I didn't leave the hose attached over the winter, so I don't think it's a freeze/burst issue.

It's a 1/4 turn valve made by Mueller, looks like this
[www.homedepot.com]

What can I to do to fix this? Since nothing is leaking inside the basement or in the wall, it's not really a problem, just annoying and a waste of water. Thanks.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Anti-Siphon cap on sillcock is leaking
Author: dlh (TX)

the link wont pull up but you will probably need to see if they have a repair kit for it.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

What's inside the vacuum breaker part that goes bad on these things? Since the valve is working fine, I don't think there's anything wrong with the guts, so I probably don't need to mess around with the stem, right? It's just the upper cap on the vacuum breaker.
Try this one?

[www.drillspot.com]

Edited 3 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I don't use the brand you mentioned, I use Woodford. On them the cap is a friction fit, it just prys right off, under that is a cap that unscrews, theres a tiny rubber disk that is forced up each time the faucet is turned on, and it falls down when it is turned off. Any time I have a leak from under the cap I just replace the tiny rubber disk and it fixes the problem. If the faucet is easily accesible from the rear it would probably be just as inexpensive to replace the whole unit VS. special ordering a repair kit.

Reply To This Message

Author: smellslikemoney (AL)

take it apart and make sure theres no trash keeper it from sealing when the waters on......I have found "Nests" and dead bugs in there. clean it and re-install. check it out! If that didn't work,order the repair kit or replace. Happy days!

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

the vacuum breakers on those top mounted hosebibs go bad very often

thats why i use the arrowhead ones with the breaker on the spout.

you can pop the cap off and replace the parts...if its priced like the Mansfield's it should cost $4 and take 1 second to fix.

you need to find the parts for it.

Reply To This Message

Author: TDaMoose (OR)

I just posted on this subject a few minutes ago. I cannot tell what kind of sillcock I have as there are no markings on the unit. When I turn the cap on the anti-siphon part, it just turns freely but does not come off. The unit was installed around 1992. Shuld I just try to pry the cap off?

Thanks,

TDaMoose

Reply To This Message

yes.

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: TDaMoose (OR)

After checking more carefully, i found that the leaking of my frost-free sillcock was occurring where the stem to which the handle is attached entered the outside body of the faucet. I think that there is a washer that has gone bad. I can remove that part becau
se it is held on by a nut that I can unscrew after removing the handle.

However, I will have to turn off the water at the water heater. Then I will remove the unit but I will have to find out if someone locally carries the part that is broken. If not, I will have to try and close the valve and wait for a part from where ever. Unfortunately, I do not know the sillcock manufacturer or model number. I do know the part was installed in 1992!

Another solution is to remove the entire unit by unscrewing it from where it is connected inside. This could be a problem if I cannot 1) locate the join that is inside the house and/or 2) I cannot find a new unit sufficiently long to to reach the interior join.

I guress my best bet is to acll a plumber and hope he can replace the old unit for under $200 (Here in Portland area, plumbers charge up to $150 to make the call and then about $100 per hour!).

Reply To This Message

do not try to remove the stem or valve body after just turning off the water at the water heater unless you are positive that will also shut off the water to the valve you are working on. most valves at the water heater only shut off the water to the heater and to nothing else (other than the hot side at every faucet)

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.