Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Sediment filter housing stuck
Author: whitemocha (OH)

The plastic sump wrench and I can no longer remove the pre-softener whole house plastic sediment filter housing. I used Vaseline last time I changed the thing. Even tried whacking the sump wrench with a hammer while carefully holding the copper pipping. I'm getting tennis elbow. Any suggestions for loosening this thing??

Reply To This Message

Re: Sediment filter housing stuck
Author: redwood (CT)

Has the pressure been bled off or, is the housing still under pressure?

Vaselene may not have been a good idea. It is a petroleum based grease and may attack some plstics...

Reply To This Message

Oh yes, I didn't forget to release the pressure. Turn both in and out handles off, release pressure and unscrew. My (actually licensed) plumber told me to put Vaseline on the gasket and threads last year and been doing that every three months since!! Maybe I overtightened it after the last filter change. I don't have any special plumbing tools/wrenches, etc. It's a blue plastic sump with OmniFilter written on top. And little for anything to grab on to except shallow tabs for the useless plastic wrench.

Reply To This Message

Author: fsp (NC)

You may try a "cheater bar" (long piece of ridged pipe that will fit over the handle of your wrench that acts as an extension) to give you some extra leverage.

Reply To This Message

Hmm. Sounds like a good idea. Will let you know...thanks!

Reply To This Message

Finally got it! Your idea got me to use the only thing available-short extension nozzle from the vacuum cleaner-but it was a little too big. So thinking the problem may be the difficulty of putting enough pressure on the skinny, flat sump wrench bare handed, I popped off the foam pad from the leg lever of the bench press, lol. It allowed me to contort myself and support the pipes and literally, chest press the wrench, and alas, it gave. Of course though, within minutes after changing the filter and re-tightening, it leaked.

Funny thing though. While hunched around the thing doing the plumbers-chest-press, I notice for the first time in five years, a warning saying never tighten it on with the wrench, only use wrench to loosen. Have always wrench re-tightened or else it will guarantee leak. Finally got it to stop using Vaseline and the wrench. Dunno why such a simple piece of equipment has to be the biggest dreaded chore of the seasons. I couldn't stick around and see if it leaks after the second time of carefully eagle eying the threads and hand tightening yet. Stuck a bucket under it and came back to thank you. Brain surgery has to be easier.

Reply To This Message

Thats great! Way to use what you got! I'm glad you were able to handle it. I think once you tighten it with a wrench once, you will have to get it at least that tight every time after that.

Reply To This Message

Ahhh! Over-tightening creating a forever need to over-tighten never crossed my mind either. I don't think I'll live the amount of time it'll take to know it all about home maintenance...but you've gotten me one step closer. Thanks again for the assistance!

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

They make a special plumbers grease thats safe to use on the threads and o-ring. If you use it, hand tight will be plenty to keep it from leaking.

Reply To This Message

Good call, faucet is what I use too.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Omni Filter of Delevan, Wisconsin, suggest that you hand tighten the filter housing, after servicing the filter. A very light coating of silicone grease will assure that the "O-Ring" will last longer and a water tite fit.

If the housing continues to leak after hand tightening, consider replacing the "O-Ring" with a new OEM one.

The wrench is used, only have both pressures have been shut off and the filter housing valve relieved.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: royboy (SC)

Ah yes; one of my pet peeves. Plumbers grease is one of the worst cases of mis-naming a product. It is petroleum based and useless for almost all plumbimg applications. Get a tube of silicone grease and use it for all plastic and rubber items. I don't even carry the so-called plumbers grease anymore.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Dow Corning 111 is GREAT stuff and a tube will last a loooong time

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.