Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Tools to remove floor drain cap/plug?
Author: Kurt P (NY)

Apart from a hammer or a wrench, does anyone know of any tools to "unscrew" a floor clean-out cap/plug that is in somewhat of a deep hole? The plugs look like the ones in this attached photo (2nd photo):

[home.howstuffworks.com]

Is there a long-handle tool on the market for this?

Reply To This Message

Re: Tools to remove floor drain cap/plug?
Author: hj (AZ)

Your referenced site does not tell me if your plug has a square recess or a raised square head. Measure the inside of a recess or the outside of the head and buy a section of steel tubing with that dimension. However, as a practical matter, regardless of what you use, it may not turn without using a hammer and chisel at the same time.

Reply To This Message

It has a raised square head. Maybe about 1 and a half inche per side.

Reply To This Message

Thanks by the way. I will go to Home Depot or a hardware store and get what you suggested.

Reply To This Message

A piece of 2" square tubing should be just about right for it.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

This early in the job and you are already facing problems...
I would suggest calling in a pro to get your drain working ASAP.

Reply To This Message

HJ, this is exactly what the plug looks like. It says 3 1/2 on top too. Does your recommendation remain the same?

[www.amazon.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i may be wrong, but i don't believe there was ever a commercially made tool for this purpose. there are many possibilities for homemade tools to accomplish this job.
given how difficult it can be to remove a brass plug that has not been removed in many, many years, a hammer and chisel is usually the best approach.

Reply To This Message

This is the one we have.
[www.perfectoproducts.net]

Reply To This Message

once again, i am proven to be out in left field with matsui...

Reply To This Message

Even with that it often comes down to a hammer and chisel.

Reply To This Message

really now... how long would it have taken the original plumber to lather the plug with good grease?
too many guys out there who will tighten something within an inch of their life and if it leaks, get a bigger wrench...

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Matsui will probably be on the bench as a DH, instead of out in LF but
the poster may only need a hammer if in fact he has a lead fit-all plug.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Isn't that what new construction plumbers do?:X

Funny thing with the economy the way it is many of them are now entering the service plumbing area.

We can only hope that they run up against many of the roadblocks that we routinely deal with and learn the errors of their ways before construction heats up again...

If it is a lead fitall hopefully he's got enough room to knock it side to side with a hammer.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: zep (OK)

For my money .. it always comes to a hammer and chisel.

Takes three seconds to bang it out .. then you can replace it with an expanding rubber plug when you are done.

Reply To This Message

Ever seen a test plug blow out?:eek:

Reply To This Message

"We can only hope that they run up against many of the roadblocks that we routinely deal with and learn the errors of their ways before construction heats up again... "

No doubt. I have a happy vision of a construction plumber turned serviceman cursing in agony at the cross that he put in last year because he is now trying to hit it with a cable :laugh:

Reply To This Message

When I say 'expanding rubber plug' I don't mean one of those wing nut plugs. I have the ones that have rubber between the two metal plates. You tighten them with a crescent .. not a wing nut. I suppose they are still test plugs though.

No .. But I just read the post closer. I thought he was talking about an 1.5" floor drain plug based on the title of the thread, not a 3.5" CO plug. I wouldn't put a test plug in a clean out.

I still don't usually mess with them though. If they give me even the beginning of a hard time I just chisel them out and replace them.

Reply To This Message

Yes.

Reply To This Message

It isn't. It is a standard 3 1/2" brass plug in a 4" cast iron cleanout. And, since a lead FitAll plug SHOULD be screwed in, (the lead has a tapered thread on its outside to fit several sizes), not hammered, even then it would unscrew.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.