Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 caulking on fiberglass shower base drain
Author: rider89 (MO)

Per the good advice from waukeshaplumbing, I decided to go with a glued type shower drain fitting.
I was going to use plumbers putty on the upper flange, but I maybe am chickening out on it, trustwise. I've used it without problems on metal sinks and tubs, etc, but I'm wondering if it will stick OK to plastic.
I've heard some say they use silicone, but the specs say to not use submerged, which it kind of is when used on a shower drain.
I'm thinking of using 3M 5200 marine caulk, which is expensive, but very reliable under water.
This is on a slab, and there will be tile installed on the walls over the base, so I don't want to take any chances on a leak.
Any thoughts?
thanks,
bill

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: caulking on fiberglass shower base drain
Author: royboy (SC)

I hate to re-open the can of worms debate of silicone vs. putty but here goes. I have used both putty and silicone and use silicone almost exclusively now. I would be interested to hear from those who have used EACH product for over two years and compared the results. 100% silicone seals vey well but is not a good long term adhesive. If you want a product for sealing cracks then polyurethane will work best. I don't use it for shower drains for the same reason. It grabs and holds too well.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

your question does not make sense. one sentence talks about plastic and one talks about tile??
they use different type drains.

Reply To This Message

Author: Plumbcrazy2 (PA)

no caulk or putty on a tiled shower floor, use a prior drain, then vinyl membrane. fold around corners using vinyl membrane glue on the prior drain, and wherever u patch, also tar paper goes down before the membrane.

for a shower base i use putty between the drain and the base and the bottom where the nut screws to i caulk there.

Reply To This Message

the reference to tile was about tiling the walls down to the standard fiberglass base. The tile walls would need to be torn out if the base fitting had problems.
bill

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Just be sure you have a good level /square stub up and set the base solidly and I don't think either will be a problem till after the base wears out.5200 is very permanent.a base that flexes excessively will never hold up long term.

Reply To This Message

Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

If you silicone the drain, and I ever have to work on it, I am going to hate you with a passion. Plumbers putty works just fine. The real water seal is the gasket below.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

PLumber's putty is reliable, but I do not use if for that location. Conditions can occur that would cause it to "loosen" and then leak. Since it should never have to be removed, I do silicone it in place, but do not get silicone on the threads of the drain or it may not tighten properly.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i strongly recommend the Sioux Chief 825-27p drain

Sioux chief makes a different one which is garbage..when you tighten it it will slip and pop off...the 825-27p works great!

i use putty...never had a problem with it anywhere...i dont think you will have a problem with either silicone or putty...but the silicone is harder to cleanup and if you need to get that drain off it will be harder to remove...

i recommend putty!

I think Home Depot sells the garbage drain...you may have to order it online or from a supply house...usually $4

Reply To This Message

FWIW I just happened to read the fine print on two brands of plumbers putty (Oatey, etc) and both labels stated specifically "DO NOT USE ON PLASTIC".
A rather definite statement. I'm thinking that there must be no adherence to plastic surfaces.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

thats probably something just because of staining?

its what everyone uses on fiberglass bases, plastic laundry tubs,etc

dont worry...dont use it on stone(the oils stain it)...otherwise dont worry

what type of base did you buy?

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

This stuff does it all!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.