Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Diverter valve adjustment (repair)
Author: seligman (CA)

The diverter valve in my shower leaks hot water through the tub spout whenever the showerhead is being used.

How do I adjust (repair) this problem?

Reply To This Message

Re: Diverter valve adjustment (repair)
Author: redwood (CT)

You would remove the stem and either replace or repair it.
More than likely with a diverter replace it.

Reply To This Message

This being a Price Pfister diverter, do I need an OEM replacement?

Reply To This Message

OEM is usually the best choice.

Reply To This Message

I won't have to rip out part of the wall for this, will I?

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

There is a compression (brass) nut, around the shaft that has to be removed to expose the diverter stem. Inspect for unusual wear and tear.
Check the O rings and packing gland on the stem. Yes, use OEM parts too.

Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

No!
Turn it to the full out position.
Then see the 2nd nut surface furthest in the wall.
Put a faucet socket on it and unscrew it.

Faucet socket set [www.plumbingsupply.com]

Reply To This Message

One last question. Can I examine or replace the diverter valve with the water (to the house) left on?

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Not necessary to turn off the water.

You see two hex "things" in the picture. The smaller, outer one is tha packing nut which tightens the packing around the stem. You need to get one of those sockets on the inner, larger hex. IMPOTANT: Before trying to unscrew, turn the stem to a halfway position, neither all the way in or all the way out.

Based on the appearance, it will be easier, and cost less than $12, to buy an all new stem, than to try and clean that one up.

When you get the new one, you will notice a black rubber washer right on the nose, and a white nylon washer behind the nose. When you take out the old one, you may find that white one broken or missing. Use your flashlight and some tweezers to make sure that no remnants of the old one remain down inside the valve body.

Put some vaseline or plumbers grease on the stem of the new valve, then work the stem in and out several time to get some lube down into the packing. Then, after final installation, snug the packing nut up a little, but not so it is hard to turn.. You can get that so it will turn OK, and not allow any leakage through the stem.

Reply To This Message

Here are some pictures. What do you think? Repair or replace?

The Price Pfister part is P-P 3221. Would these be available at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace or special order only?

Reply To This Message

The white washer is what is supposed to stop the water from going out the spout.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

soak it all in white vinegar and brush with an old tooth brush and watch the difference. About an hour should dissolve all the mineral and scale deposits

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Nice pics. If you want to clean this up and overhaul, get the PP "shower diverter stem" kit at any hardware or plumbing store. It will have all the appropriate washers and gaskets, and probably the metal seat which is screwed into the inside body. A bad seat would not cause your problem, but you can replace it while you have it open.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

that is not worth repairing because you have less than a 50% chance it will work.

not that expensive to buy a new one. less than $15 in most places

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The easiest way is to get a new Price Pfister diverter, but remove the old one first to match it because there are two different versions.

Reply To This Message

replace. You will not find parts to repair it.

Reply To This Message

The diverter seat NEVER wears out because it does not have the usage that the stem seats do.

Reply To This Message

i have had to replace a few

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I have never seen any that get enough usage to even remove the plating on them.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the help everyone.

I replaced the diverter with a new one and everything is good now.

Reply To This Message

Just when I thought I was finished, I noticed a small stream of water leaking from the diverter into the tub when the shower is used. Much less than before, but it's there.

If I hold the valve tightly with my hand, the leak goes away, but it won't do that on its own. This is a brand new PP diverter by the way.

The new diverter did not have a gasket behind the threads. I salvaged the gasket from the old diverter. Either way, there are no leaks inside the wall, but would this cause the problem I described above?

Any suggestions?

Reply To This Message

I removed the old gasket and reinstalled the diverter. Problem solved.

Reply To This Message

If the gasket you used is not the correct one, then the diverter, which is a double seated stem, will not seal into the valve body correctly, and could leave a small gap which would cause that symptom. IF that is the cause, slightly tightening it should stop it.

Reply To This Message

Did you use any gasket? If not you probably have a leak inside the wall.

Reply To This Message

I used a small amount of Rectorseal.

Looking at pictures of this diverter valve online, they do not show a gasket there at all.

Reply To This Message

Never saw or installed one without a gasket.

Reply To This Message

I searched some online plumbing stores and found 3 photos of the same diverter I installed.

None of them show a gasket behind the threads.

All I know is the diverter works much better without the gasket in place, and from what I could see, nothing leaks. What should I do now?

Reply To This Message

you must have had a bad gasket because i have never seen one leak because a gasket was used and not leak beacuse it was removed except in the case of a bad gasket

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

In that case, I don't know what to do.

A gasket was not included with the new diverter. Either it doesn't have one, or it was missing from the packaging.

I applied Rectorseal to the threads. Afterwards I saw no signs of leaks.

What should I do now?

Reply To This Message

If you are happy, then nothing, but ALL of those stems need a washer. NONE of them have tapered threads or anything to make a water tight metal to metal seal. IN FACT, there are few, if any, faucets which assemble without a washer on the removable part. The washer creates a seal, AND it is the reason the faucets can be disassembled without using impact wrenches.

Reply To This Message

nothing that i can see. they are supposed to have the gasket but i see a lot that dont and dont leak

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I'm not happy unless I know for sure it won't leak in the future.

What if I call Price Pfister in the morning? Will they be able to advise me what to do?

Reply To This Message

yep

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

IF it is not leaking now, there is no reason to expect it to leak in the future. There is a very precise measurement inside the faucet. If it needs a washer and you did not use one, then something inside had to be compressed more than normal to compensate for the spacing a washer would have given. This measurement is also the reason a too thick washer will allow a leak.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.