Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Leak between water meter and main valve in house
Author: bigperm (VA)

Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea of what it would cost to repair a leaky pipe. The leak is between the edge of the property (where the meter is) and the shut-off valve within the house.

My understanding is you can either rip up your driveway, or whatever else you need to rip up, to replace the pipe. Or you can pull flex copper through the already existing pipe to avoid ripping eveything up.

Any ideas on what this might cost? Not sure where the leak is but I'd imagine there's about 50 feet of pipe between the edge of the property and the shut-off valve.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about plumbing so if the above post doesn't make any sense, I apologize.

Reply To This Message

Re: Leak between water meter and main valve in house
Author: hj (AZ)

It doesn't make sense because WE do not know what size, the conditions, or any thing else. One thing you can be sure of however, is that you will not pull a copper tube through the pipe.

Reply To This Message

Author: calsplumbing (CA)

It would be best to call your local plumbers out to take a look at your plumbing issue. HJ is correct. There is no technology available to pull copper tubing thru a existing service. You may have heard of pipe lining, but that is typically done with sewer repair. Other pipe lining technology available for copper pipe comes under various trade names like, Dura-Flow, Nu-Flow or Cura-Flow. However, these do not repair leaks and the leak still has to be fixed before the mentioned lining can be completed. Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

From our forum rules...
"Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs."

The reason for this is cost vary widely in different areas of the country.
Call several local contractors and get several bids on the job.

Reply To This Message

They do claim that the lining seals leaks. The cleaning process has the ability to remove corrosion, and that often causes leaks. The liner then seals them.

Reply To This Message

Author: jblanche (WI)

You may be thinking of pipe bursting.

[www.ttc.latech.edu]

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

I will need to have a very similar repair done on my house. Luckily, my leaks are small and are BEFORE my meter, so I will take the risk of waiting until next spring to get the line replaced. I've done some research and am resigned to the fact that there will need to be a 50 ft x 5 ft trench with 50 ft of new service pipe. Prices vary, but there will definitely be 4 figures involved. Get 2-3 quotes to find the best numbers in your area.

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

Is there no way to pin point the exact location of the leak?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

there is if he calls a company that has locating equipment

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

If bigperms pipe is in good condition except for one leak, then a leak locating company, a small trench, and a repair section would be the best way to go.

If their pipe is ancient rusty galv and/or is in poor shape along its entire length, then a big-dig is coming soon.

Reply To This Message

not really. they have directional boring machines. hole at either end and thats it

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

in some situations, new copper tubing can be pulled by connecting it to the existing pipe inside the house. a hole is dug at the street. the pipe there is cut and a chain is tied to the pipe. a backhoe pulls the chain and (hopefully) the pipe slides and the copper comes with it.

Reply To This Message

A hole at each end and megabucks in the middle.

Reply To This Message

Re: I have seen it done!
Author: PBwrencher (WI)

I have seen it done where someone has pulled/pushed soft copper through an old existing 3/4" water service pipe when there was a leak and the landlord was to cheap to dig it up and do it the right way.:$:

What they did was use 3/8" OD soft copper from the street curb to the house yes, it was a straight shot but it had tobe about a 60' run. I could not believe someone would do this but, I saw with my own eyes it can and was done.:O

I was called in to it fixed when the people that lived in the one bath, kitchen, one hose bibb house constantly complained of low water pressure/volume and the property was in an area where the pressure exceeded 100psi.:)

11-23-08, 8:30am Happy Hunting

- - - - - - -

A bath a day will keep you healthy in every way.

Safe plumbing brings life and health giving water into our homes, businesses, hospitals and takes away death and disease causing waste.

Reply To This Message

I was wondering, if there is a leak there must be a reason for the leak, some sort of settlement or other conditions that would have bowed, bent or warped the pipe to cause the leak and hence a straight shot is impossible, right?

If it can be located I would prefer to break a small hole and fix it...oh wait, fitting under the driveway!!! BRAZE it :-):-):-)

Reply To This Message

i can buy a heavy duty drill and a kit for under $500 that will do it

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Re: Done with SUM!

First, NO!

Second, I have seen and read way to many of your past postings so please; don't waste my time.:)

11-24-08, 7:11am

- - - - - - -

Safe plumbing brings life and health giving water into our homes, businesses, hospitals and takes away death and disease causing waste.

Reply To This Message

What kind of pipe was the old one. It could not have been galvanized.

Reply To This Message

Yes, it was 3/4" Lead lined galvanized.:)

One guy said; he thought they used a electricians tape to fish it through first, and then attached the soft copper.:think:

11-25-08, 8:05am Happy Hunting

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Lead lined galvanized? Must be some Canadian invention, and if so what was wrong with it that it required replacement?

Reply To This Message

A break at the coupling and as we both know the pipe threads at the joint are the weakest point.:think:

I still have that piece of pipe in my collection of weird plumbing.:)

Years ago here on this site, I have talked to you about lead line pipe. We then even posted about red labeled galvanized pipe, it's long life and we both came across that type of pipe in the Chicago area where we both started our plumbing carriers.:grin:

11-26-08, Happy Thanksgiving and Hunting

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Re: Done with SUM!

I have seen and read way to many of your past postings so please; don't waste my time.

PBwrencher I am simply trying to learn like most others that came here to get help, I do appreciate the advise I have gotten and it's not my intention to waste anyone's time. Cheers and happy Thanksgiving.

Apologies to the thread starter for going off topic.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms