Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Vibration coming from wall
Author: mplsmike (MN)

I have a vibration noise coming from the bedroom wall. I bought our house in May of this year, ever since we've bought the house the vibration noise comes and goes. Some days it doesn't vibrate at all and some it happens all day and night, it happens more than none. We have a bathroom between 2 bedrooms on the main level, it's coming from the corner wall that meets the bathroom. You can hear the vibration inside and outside the house, I put my hand to the wall where the vibration is coming from, you can feel the wall vibrate.

Directly under the bedroom is our laundry room in the basement. From what I can see, there are no pipes running from the washing machine up the wall, they run up the wall then run through the ceiling to our bathroom in the basement and directly up from the basement bathroom to our main level bathroom. It doesn't make sense to me why the noise is vibrating since no pipes are running up the wall. It sounds like a cell phone is inside the wall on vibrate. The vibration comes when no water is being used and when the water is being used.

I've had the phone company come out and check the line, the noise is coming in the approximate location where the phone line meets the house. Phone company says the line wouldn't cause a vibration, if it did, the line would be smoking. While the phone company was there, he was on a ladder and he heard the vibration noise. I've called local plumbers, they really don't have any idea what could be causing this. I've read where it could be the ball cock in the toilet or a loose washer. The only solution I can think of is to tear open the wall and see what's behind it, that's the last thing I want to do.

Can anyone help me out? The vibration noise is very annoying and makes it hard to sleep at night!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Vibration coming from wall
Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Is it a constant pitch noise, like a 60Hz hum, or is it a variable pitch noise, like wind across a wire?

Reply To This Message

It's variable, sometimes louder, sometimes softer vibration. The length is always different as well. Sometimes the vibration is a split second, other times it's a second or two. Almost always vibrates more than once, it's not just one hum, it comes in 2 or 3's.

Reply To This Message

Author: plumbhelp (MA)

Just a guess here. Is your electric meter anywhere close by where you are hearing the noise????
I had this same situation at a home I was renting, and it was the electric meter on the outside of the house making noise as it was running.
Called the electric co. and they sent a tech out to look see, and they ended up changing the meter.

Reply To This Message

No, the box is about 15 feet away from where the noise is coming from. I check the phone line and it's between a tree branch towards the pole, as if the branch grew around the line. I don't think that would make a difference but who knows? Phone company said it's not from the phone line but I am beginning to think it might have something to do with it?

I am stumped!

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Tough to figure out from just a description. Too bad you can't(?) record it and post a link to the sound clip.

some guesses...

Very rare, but I've heard overhead wires vibrate in the wind. Kind of like a guitar string, but much lower in frequency.

Other possibility might be that a vent pipe to the roof might have a resonance that is being excited by the wind. I've never actually heard this one myself.

Other parts of the house structure could also be vibrating with wind. I have one old storm window which buzzes like a chainsaw when the wind hits it just right.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Power vent water heater?

Reply To This Message

I went outside last night to the exterior of the house. I pin pointed the vibration and it's coming from right where the phone line comes into the house. I called the phone company last night and told them to come take down the phone line today, I believe this is the only liable solution. I did notice in the bedroom the phone jack on the floor board is black, as if they wires were burning and the wall that the jack is connected to is black, like something was burning. Since we don't have a home phone, we just use cell phones, we will see if the phone line makes a difference.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

sure sounds like your phone line is the problem and is trying to burn your house down

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: arcenite (NJ)

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same exact problem and it's driving me bonkers.

Reply To This Message

Author: cdp5005 (PA)

The same thing has been happening in my home. A buzzing that sounds almost like a phone vibration. The room is far from the phone lines. Also the room it occurs in,is the only room my two cats don't go into. Whatever that means. It may be, a theory my father shared with me, of glass in windows vibrating from energy from trucks moving in the area. I am still unsure, but that may be the case. I am not giving up on figuring it out yet. Why would it only vibrate those windows and why would the vibration have the same amount of time in between each vibration? Do you have a window in that room?

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.