Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 No water coming out from a shower (updated some photo)
Author: underwater (FL)

(HI,

I purchased my house several months ago (built in 2000) and this is my first house.

One day the handle of a shower in the guest bathroom stopped working. I can still rotate it, but it does nothing. Even after the handle reach the end of the rotation, there is no water coming out. Actually there is no sound at all for water coming out including the faucet connected into the same pipe and handle with the shower head in a bath tub.

there are a sink and a toilet in the same bathroom and those two are perfectly working.

I hope the problem is just on the handle though, I have no clue what kind of troubles I am in.

Would anyone give me any advice? Any comments will be very appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From here is updated posting after I read your replies.
I put the same notes at the end of replies.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so sorry for confusing you guys and thank you for replies.

Actually all of you were right. I meant the water didn't come out from either shower head or tub spout. And there is no sound at all, you know, when you turn on your water, there is a little sound for the water coming out from the pipe, but I hear nothing. That's all I meant. Thank you.

The following link has some photos of my shower head and spout.

[www.flickr.com]

This link is the manufacture's website of the product in case it helps.

[www.moen.com]

Edited 3 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: No water coming out from a shower.
Author: redwood (CT)

What kind of valve is this? Make/model please or, post a pic.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

Remove the shower head then see if water comes out.

Reply To This Message

Is this valve for a tub/shower or just a shower... I was reading it as tub/shower with water not coming out of the tub spout either.

Reply To This Message

Yea Redwood, I read the part about the bathtub, but it was confusing so I just wanted to eliminate the shower head as the potential problem.

Reply To This Message

"it was confusing" Thanks for reinforcing my confusion!:laugh:

Reply To This Message

I am so sorry for confusing you guys and thank you for replies.

Actually all of you were right. I meant the water didn't come out from either shower head or tub spout. And there is no sound at all, you know, when you turn on your water, there is a little sound for the water coming out from the pipe, but I hear nothing. That's all I meant. Thank you.

The following link has some photos of my shower head and spout.

[www.flickr.com]

This link is the manufacture's website of the product in case it helps.

[www.moen.com]

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: bill the plumber

ring the manufacturer for warranty or service advise

Reply To This Message

My guess is the cartridge is bad but Bill gives good advice... If you are the original owner they will give you the parts.

Reply To This Message

That looks like a regular Moen faucet (not pressure balanced) with a high flow shower head. Weird for a home built in 2000.
Buy a new cartridge from a big box store. Turn off the main water valve and remove the cartridge (read the instructions that comes with the new part). Then have someone turn the main water on for a few seconds while you make sure the water is contained in the tub area. If water comes out strong then install the new cartridge. You're done.

Reply To This Message

You will need a cartridge removal tool. I use the Pasco # 7040 with good results. The key is that once you remove the clip you need to get the cartridge to turn using the tool then once it is broken free you pull on the center stem and if all goes well it comes out. There is a white plastic tool that comes with new cartridges that allegedly will turn them but that may work on a plastic cartridge but seldom on the brass ones.

Reply To This Message

Re: No water coming out from a shower (updated some photo)
Author: Wheelchair

I wonder how long the house sat idle before you purchased it? I also wonder why this wasn't discovered by the home inspector??

As suggested by others, call Moen for their Lifetime Warranty Parts.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

I believe the knob may pull out to turn on the water. Try that! Also see if you have integral stop/check valves built into the valve see the parts diagram p/n 12318. If so make sure they are on.

Reply To This Message

Pull out ... of course! That would be too funny, and you'd be a freakin' genius.

Reply To This Message

After I gave a Bum Steer of course!

Reply To This Message

Thank you guys! :)

When I purchased this house, the handle was working. After a few day I moved in, I discovered the handle is a little weired because the water was not turned off completely even after I rotated it to the end. I had to try again and again with pushing the handle hardly. The water normally stopped after a few tries.

Since it was a guest bathroom, I had not used the shower for a while until I found it stopped working about a month ago.

I am new at being home owner with zero this kind of experience. It might be the best way to call pro though, I currently have a little financial difficulty.

I will grab some tools from Lowe's and try what you guys recommended.

If you have another suggestion, please.

Thank you very much.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms