Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Soap Build up in pipes
Author: Steve-o (VT)

We use a lot of soap in our home. Can soap buildup gradually coat the inside surface of pipes, gradually narrowing the passage along the entire inside surface of drain pipes leading from the bath tub, and create a slow draining flow? Could that be the cause of a slow draining bathtub, and if so what is a safe way to remove the build up? Thanks everyone, I appriciate your advice and comments.

Reply To This Message

Re: Soap Build up in pipes
Author: ericsandstone (MD)

Wheelp:

I've showered in a home with galvanized pipes which had build up (corrosion) and stalled the draining of the shower significantly. Could be galvanized pipes, or a partial blockage.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

A electric powered snake applied in the proper place, in the proper manner, by a pro will clean this partial blockage of your pipes. Skip the chemical drain openers they are a useless waste of money and make the plumbers job more hazardous as well as shorten his equipment life. In some cases it might be best to consider repiping the drain.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

the answer is yes soap can build up and cause partial blockage.

do as redwood suggested and you should have many years of good draining pipes depending on what you put down them.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Undisolved soap bubbles and, over time, develop into a nasty grease substance. You can poke a hole in it, and it reforms as soon as you remove the rodder.

A licensed plumber know what to do and how to do it. Me, I like power jetters after a good mechanical rodding. Procedures differ, but achieve the same results at a different pace.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: dumaz05 (FL)

The first step I would take is to remove the hair that is built up by the tub stop and drain. If this is not the case then I would suggest having your line rodded and then power jetted to emulsify any build up and clean your lines back up to about 98% of the pipes original integrity.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.