Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Dirt or mud in drain?
Author: Marian10 (AZ)

Good Day Everyone!

I have a shower that drains very very slow, I’m able to run the snake (1/4” snake attached to a drill) it’s a Ridgid K-39 works wonderful by the way, but when I pull the cable out the tip of the cable is all full of dirt/mud, I can only go like 32” into the pipe and it wont go any deeper.

Any suggestions are really appreciated
Thanks

Tony drain cleaning apprentice

Reply To This Message

Re: Dirt or mud in drain?
Author: ev607797 (VA)

Tony:

Since you are in Arizona, I assume that your building is on a slab, meaning that the plumbing is underneath.

I think that you already know the answer to your question. If mud is coming out from snaking, the drain pipe has failed and dirt is entering it. It could be a simple poor coupling to an ell or a tee, but let's face it: If it was a tiny bit of mud getting in through a small crack, you'd never know since it would simply wash down the drain, nor would mud come back on the end of a snake. The pipe is completely open and your snake is likely slipping out of the pipe and into the soil. This means that there is a lot more than a bad coupling.

Look at the bright side. At least the snake only goes about three feet before dirt is encountered, so the location of the failed pipe should be relatively easy to locate. At least this will minimize repair costs. It's the ones that are sixty feet out that can be difficult.

---Ed---

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: lance kirk (FL)

get out the wet vac and flashlight suck the trap dry and look at it is there a hole down there or a curved clean pipe some guys think you can clear a swhr drain with a piece of rebar and a four pound sledge

Reply To This Message

Thank You Ed
When something like this happens means breaking concrete and digging right? Yes the house is on a slab, is any way to tell if the pipe is broken on just one part or could it be damaged all the way to the main stack?

Thanks I haved learned a lot from your response.

Reply To This Message

Thanks Lance Kirk, the drain hole is curved can’t see the trap

Reply To This Message

Author: lance kirk (FL)

if you see a clean curve thats the u bend of the trap unless the orginal istaller missed by alot.32 inches how far would that be from this curve thats how far the power cable went right

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Opening the wall on the other side of the wall fom the tub drain will probably give you access. Were they nice enough to have a closet there?

Reply To This Message

No closet, the north side of the shower wall faces the living room, the west side faces the dinning room, and the east side faces the hall, the shower space is about 30” by 40”

Thanks

Reply To This Message

Oh sorry I missed the "shower" and was thinking tub!:footinmouth:

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

How old is the house? In the 50's they used some aluminum fittings in AZ which have broken down over the years and tried to return to the original Bauxite ore. The most likely problem is a bad trap and you are drilling through the bottom of it into the ground.

Reply To This Message

Thank you hj,
Yes the house is at least 50 years old; if you are in the Phoenix area can I send you an email?
Thanks

Reply To This Message

That I am, HCJAKE@aol.com

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

You've lived quite a life HJ. From hammering messages onto a rock to sending and receiving e-mails ... amazing.

Reply To This Message

His life has gotten easier through the eons!

Reply To This Message

Well, when I have a particularly hard rock, I may spend more time sharpening the chisels than writing, but the messages last longer.

Reply To This Message

Yep. All these new inventions are going to ruin the plumbing trade, and wipe out all those other "new fangled things" like phones and newspapers. Have you tried to send a telegram lately?

Reply To This Message

I know HJ its awful! Even HAM Radio operators don't have to know Morse Code anymore!

Reply To This Message

They would probably think the Titanic's SOS was static, and wish that it could clear up so they can keep talking about what they had for lunch. And if they had to send one they would probably send OSO.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Lets see is that ... --- ... or, --- ... ---

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms