Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Watts vs Sharkbite
Author: act1999 (NC)

How do the Watts Series 35 Quick connect fittings [www.watts.com] compare to Sharkbite fittings? I have only recently read alot of good info on the Sharkbite fiitings. I have used the Watts Series 35 fittings because they were readily available at Lowes. There have been no problems with the use of Watts connectors so far.

Reply To This Message

Re: Watts vs Sharkbite
Author: redwood (CT)

I prefer the heavier duty sharkbites.

Reply To This Message

Author: act1999 (NC)

After what I've read, I agree with you. I really do not want to replace these existing Watts connectors with Sharkbite at this time. Does anyone have anything positive to say about Watts connectors? Furthermore, all future quick connecting on my part will be done with the Sharkbite fittings.

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Nether...:X

Reply To This Message

Author: daniel b (NC)

they are not exspensive to buy?

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

when PVC came onto the market, they used to talk about ruining the trade by making things too easy. now, you can water pipe a house without tools???
gimme a break!!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Watts appear to be the same as John Guest fittings. One difference is that the Sharkbite removing ring has to be depressed with a tool, whereas the Watts and Guest fittings can be removed by depressing the ring with your fingers. Another difference is that the Sharkbite is brass, whereas the others are either plastic, or have a plastic retainer ring.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Easy AND cheap. Using these fittings does not qualify as "cheap" so they are probably not going to destroy the plumbing industry.

Reply To This Message

Author: lee polowczuk (SC)

i just used the Sharkbite....amazing fitting.

I had a plumber who wanted 300 dollars to run a waterline from my basement to my attic.... he said he would use pex.

After reading and getting some advice on this board... i ran the pex and used the Sharkbites...probably cost me 25 dollars. Not only that it gave me confidence to do more plumbing.

the only leap of faith for me was cutting into my 3/4" copper line and then hooking the sharkbite to it and the pex with a 3/4x3/4x1/2 "T".

Used a 90 in the attic and tied that to a copper stub that i soldered to a shut off valve.

I have done very, very little plumbing in my life....

Why the water line? the attic previously had a "maids" john there at some point... i tied a new toilet into the existing DWV cast system... now i have an outhouse in the attic. Someday it will be a finished half bath.

i appreciate this forum. For $150 i have the beginnings of a new half bath.

Reply To This Message

Hmmm, Attic bathroom? You might want to explain how this is all tied into the drain. Sometimes these can create venting problems for the floors below.

Reply To This Message

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Sharkbites new "e-z" flex drains Redwood....get with it man.If I see these little o-ring rependent suckers on a job there coming out.The Copper crimping o-ring systems are already having problems.

Reply To This Message

Ez-flex drains not here JR!

Reply To This Message

this house had a maids john... i just cut out the old galvanized pipe and replaced it with PEX. the attic was already plumbed and vented ...the waste line is cast...and it runs through the main floor closet...and into the sewer drain direct... it's about as clean of an instillation as you can get..

i am flushing to my hearts content.

Reply To This Message

Author: jjbex (IL)

You should have run 3/4" pex. Your toilet probably won't refill while you are washing hands after flushing.

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

Reply To This Message

I am going to run separate hot and cold water lines for the sink when i put that in...

our existing toilets have 1/2 inch copper.

Reply To This Message

Author: alaskan111 (AK)

I agree watts connectors are fine. that is what I have used for the most part, shark bites are far superior, and i will use those for any futre plumbing projects. they are spendy.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms