Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 CPVC glue(orange) on PVC
Author: MastiffMan (MI)

Had a local "plumber" use CPVC glue on my PVC drain, waste, and vent system. Will it hold?

Reply To This Message

Re: CPVC glue(orange) on PVC
Author: redwood (CT)

No! The pvc cement process is actually 2 step solvent welding while cementing cpvc is a contact cement.

The pvc primer cleans and initially softens the pvc. The cement provides additional softening while the 2 parts are twisted together to mix the 2 then it hardens again.

The cpvc process is more like a glue or contact cement process.

The materials and cements are very different so the bond is not there.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

never knew there were so many types of pvc cement. i just walk into the supply house and grab a can off the shelf. of course, i only work with 1 1/2" to 4".
i do use the below zero formula in the winter.
[www.herchem.com]
check that site. it lists all the various cements and their intended uses.
it does sound like the plumber made a mistake. call your local inspector and ask if the job was permited and inspected.
after reading my post, i had better clarify what i said. i grab a can off the shelf, but all the cans are the same. pvc cement, not cpvc cement.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

The spec page link provided by Packy below indicates that CPVC is also a solvent weld process, just different chemicals.

Reply To This Message

Author: alliance (KS)

CPVC cement still will not hold over a period of time. On PVC piping, the primer begins the first step in a chemical reaction. The cement completes the process, chemically fusing the pipe and fittings. CPVC cement although technically a 'solvent weld' by definition does not have the same chemical reaction on PVC.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

thinking about this, i would contact hercules chemical directly and ask their opinion. or, find out what brand of cement the plumber used and contact that company.
get an e-mail reply and print it out. you might need it.

Reply To This Message

Author: shacko (MD)

Using a solvent weld that is not designed for the the tube is not allowed where I live, that was banned many years ago. FYI cpvc is also solvent welded, not glued. If you have the wrong cement on your tube I would be concerned.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Yes, I was NOT suggesting that the wrong cement would work OK

Reply To This Message

Author: coach606 (IL)

Have you asked the "plumber" who did it about the situation? If it needs to be fixed, I imagine now's the time.

I kind of regret the times when I used local "plumbers" instead of going with licensed pros and inspections. I think most of them did pretty good work, but I also know that they cut corners that wouldn't have been allowed by an inspector. I didn't know any better at the time. I once tried to replace the drain on my shower pan and found the thing rigged up like crazy. The "plumber" had cut the p-trap shorter glued some pieces on it and an o ring and caulked the heck out of it to hold it. It's just a little basement bath and it did work okay until I messed with it.

Then it was either beat the pan out with a sledgehammer and redo it or rig it up again. And you can't hire a licensed plumber to rig things up for you.

Good luck. I hope the guy will see his error and make good on it.

Reply To This Message

Author: moosehorn

Take a look at the following link, [www.wmharvey.com]

There is a question and answer about using CPVC cement on PVC piping.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.