Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Wrapping PVC pipe in concrete
Author: clesnick

What material can I use to wrap PVC pipe where it is under a concrete floor?

My state code requires the pipes to be wrapped where they penetrate concrete but when I described this and asked for wrapping material at the plumbing supply house, they did not carry it. Maybe I was just using the wrong name for the product.

Thanks for your help.

Reply To This Message

Re: Wrapping PVC pipe in concrete
Author: hj (AZ)

What is the PVC pipe used for? If it is drainage then you may have to wrap black "pipe wrap" tape where it penetrates the concrete floor, although you would be the first person I have heard of who had to do it. If it is going through "grade beams" in the floor, you have to wrap it with foam ribbon or rubber pipe insulation. Other than that, I do not know of any plumbing use where you could use PVC inside the house, much less under the floor.

Reply To This Message

Author: clesnick

This is for drainage. The PVC pipes are the drains for a bathroom on a concrete slab.

Do other people pour concrete directly around PVC drainage pipe?

Thanks again.

Reply To This Message

We use ABS in this area, but we never wrap the drain lines coming through the floor. Only when they are in a grade beam or foundation wall. And then it is more to allow them room to move if the concrete settles rather than any corrosion factor.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosaj (CT)

If it is under the concrete floor, it would be compacted in sand or other appropriate material, not wrapped. If penetrating a foundation, footing, etc. it is usually sleeved. I'm not sure exactly how much bigger the sleeve pipe should be. Check with the plumbing inspector. They should know what the deal is...

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Just had 36 underfloor stub outs buried in concrete today. All COPPER lines stubbing out of a contrete floor MUST be protected from contact with concrete. Check with your local inspector for his or her opinion on the subject.

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

He is not asking about copper. He specifically specified PVC waste lines which are an entirely different matter.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

True HJ, PVC/ABS need not be protected in MOST areas, Yet, Copper MUST BE. If you have DRAIN lines that extend thru the concrete floor then you normally need not protect them.

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Author: royboy (SC)

In North Carolina they require one wrap of polyethylene around PVC pipe that comes in contact with concrete. They say the expansion coefficients are different.

Reply To This Message

Very few materials have the "same coefficient" of expansion.

Reply To This Message

Author: Anonymous User

Here in CA everyone wraps ABS drains with foam wrap when it's covered with concrete. I get it in 100' rolls (about 4" wide and 1/4" thick) from the construction supply house. They usually sell it as expansion joint material.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.