Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Pooling water on tub surface
Author: Anonymous User

How do I prevent pooling of water in corner (on surface) of tub?

Reply To This Message

Re: Pooling water on tub surface
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Unfortunately, the cause is probably that the tub is not level. It was either installed wrong, or the house has settled. Not much you can do.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for your comment. I understand the problem, but I need a solution.
And the solution is NOT replacing my tub.

Post Edited

Reply To This Message

If it is an inside corner then I am unaware of any solution other than resetting the tub.
One contractor tried building the back wall out to eliminate the tub ledge. Water still tended to find a way underneath the wall. LonnythePlumber

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

If the water is pooling in the corner because the bathtub has settled or it was not installed properly there are two options, reinstalling the bathtub or replacing it.

e-plumber

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Hmmmm.....
I am amazed that no one has suggested creating some sort of custom plexi-glass "splash shield" and installing it in the corner with silicone caulking.

Some of us just think "outside the bun"...

Reply To This Message

We're looking at the situation as plumbers, not handy men with plastic and glue. The correct long term remedy is to reset the bathtub or replace it.

e-plumber

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -

Reply To This Message

I appreciate all of your professional opinions and information, however re-setting or replacing the tub isn't an option for me at this time.

Reply To This Message

Author: James S.

How about just using a squeegy / towel to dry off the standing water when you are finished? And be sure to replace the caulk at the tub seam when it starts deteriorating.

Reply To This Message

Well, that is a solution, thank you, but I am looking for one that doesn't require such constant vigilance.

Reply To This Message

if you think you can do it with plastic than do it your self than why did you ask us plumbers

Reply To This Message

Don't be offended that no one suggested a leveler bandaid made of plastic and caulk. Plexi is not a material that will stand up well to constant moisture, soap scum, and mineral buildup. Big chunks of caulking: same problem. This will always look awful, but if you think that this will be better than just toweling it off after every use, go ahead. Free country.

Reply To This Message

Seeing as how I break all the rules of plumbing 101, I would make a custom soapdish to put in the corner so that no water can gather there. That way it will prevent the water from pooling and not attract too much attention. Just make sure you secure it in place with a strong bonding waterproof material.
I too try to think outside the bun... just refer to my own dilemma below.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

In that case, you just have to figure a way to make the water run uphill. That is the only solution other than removing the tub and regrading the deck.

Reply To This Message

I've been through thinking outside the bun and I think your thinking is outside the bun. I'm also a general contractor specializing in bathroom remodels and I have seen plastic, glass, and build-ups of all kinds and none that have lasted.
Drying off the unit after every use is the only alternative until you can reset the tub. LonnythePlumber

Reply To This Message

Author: steve_g (CA)

If you're not going to reset the tub (like you should) why not simply jack up the house a little on the side that it's puddling on? That would save a lot of squeegee-ing.

Look at what plain water did to Northern Arizona. You can't stop that with plexi & caulk. Water doesn't just seek it's own level, it always gets there sooner or later.

Sometimes I just can't restrain the wise-guy in me. I should learn not to hit the Post button.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dunbar (KY)

LOL!

Reply To This Message

Its you tub and you are the only one who can see the problem. If a screen such as that will solve the problem, which your original post implied it would not, then go for it.

Reply To This Message

Since the deck obviously slopes so that water accumualtes in the corner, putting a soap dish there would just create 2 new corners and the water would eventually create two pools, one on either side of the soap dish. She can either create a "kludge" to keep the water away, (and friends will ask what that thing is), or just not use the tub. Sponge baths can be refreshing.

Reply To This Message

Out of the Box ? ? ?
Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Good response Fixityerselfer, I like your style. How about this one. Get a soap on a rope and remove the soap. Locate the deep part of the puddling water. Silicone one end of rope (small dab) to tub corner in puddling area. When showering the rope will certainly get wet. Upon completion of shower gravity will naturaly allow water to drip from rope. At some point a siphoning action will start and this will remove all the water from the pudling area. This is the same princible that dries out p-traps that contains mop strings or similar materials. GOOD LUCK

Post Edited

Reply To This Message

Re: Out of the Box ? ? ?

It is not gravity, it is capillary attraction and I would not depend on it to drain the area completely every time.

Reply To This Message

Ok perhaps I should have clarified, make a CUSTOM soapdish, custom being keyword, one that basically forms with the tub corner, and covers area where pooling is, then make sure it has a proper pitch to drain off the water. You can get a CUSTOM soapdish made from almost any custom fake marble bathroom fixtures shop. Like the places that make sinks, counters, bath stalls, etc.
Jeez people, get yer noses out of the code books and smell the fresh air of your imagination... Some people don't have buckets full of cash to spend redoing something that can be fixed with a bit of unconventional brainstorming. I myself am sick of "professionals" telling me YOU CAN'T DO THAT just because it is not the conventional method. Free your mind...and the rest will follow.

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Some say the glass if half empty. Some say the glass is half full. Hytech says "It's a GLASS, with WATER."

Reply To This Message

Author: jjbex (IL)

fixityerselfer,
the poster can install a custom soapdish to mask the water puddling problem, and he still has an improperly installed tub. Some of us have "our noses in the code book" so we what's legal and what's not. We use our imaginations to design and install properly functioning dwv sustems, among other things. Part of that is leveling and plumbing fixtures, not jerry rigging them. If people want plumbing advice, this is the place. Customsoapdish.com or customsplashguard.com would be a better place to look for a junky gimcrack solution for this problem.

Cheers, Jeff.

Post Edited

------------------

"You can't get there from here"
Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

Reply To This Message

And you do not seem to understand that if you cover the area where it pools, the water will still drain towards that area, but now you will have two pools, one on each side of the "custom" soap dish.

Reply To This Message

Fixit yourself, I agree you are sick if you think our decades of experience are only code based. This is not a code question it is an experience question. I and others have seen simuliar attempts and they have not worked. I'm sick of people damaging property because they think they know what they're doing. LonnythePlumber

Reply To This Message

Might I remind you of what the poster said?

"I appreciate all of your professional opinions and information, however re-setting or replacing the tub isn't an option for me at this time."

So why does everyone continue to advise this person to relevel the tub? Most people that come here for the advice more than likely know the right way to fix the problem, which is usually the hardest or most expensive. They come here for two reasons, to confirm their fears and or find an easier solution. Obviously the fears were confirmed with the first responses, now why not be a mate and help come up with a simpler solution? Adapt and overcome, people.

Reply To This Message

The simplest solution is to towel or squeegee after each use. That does not seem like a big deal to me, but he didn't want to hear about it. Several people have given the opinion that the "custom soap dish" route will look and perform like a piece of crap. He doesn't want to hear that either, so he should just go ahead and do it.

Reply To This Message

fixityerselfer (VA),

We all read what the original poster wrote.
We try to give professional advise as if we were in the home ready to correct the situation. As a licensed plumber, I would never suggest a bubble gum repair, I would only advise to do it correctly. Some people just don't want to hear it. If the reason for not resetting the tub is because of the cost, the simplest sollution is to wipe up the excess water after each use which is obvious.

e-plumber

e-plumber

Reply To This Message

fixityerselfer,
I gotta commend ya fer being sick of professionals telling you that something is impossible and you do it anyway. As a self professed breaker of "plumbing 101" rules, you are like Frank Sinatra, doing it "My Way". But, and it's a big but, ya still gotta leaky footbath that will never be right until you tear it out and do it "our way." You can free your mind all you want, but laws of physics are immutable.

Cheers, Jeff.

Reply To This Message

This was not the footbath question, but the answer is the same. If you ask a professional how to fix a "bad" installation, he/she is going to give you the correct answer. If you want a repair from Tijuana, then ask down there.

Reply To This Message

Yeah I know hj, I just didn't like a guy bragging about being sick of pro's telling him something was impossible, and doing it anyway, then asking how to fix an incurable leak because he didn't listen to the pro's, taking real plumbers to task for telling somebody to do it the right way. I'm done now, I have nothing more to say, except "plumbing's easy, you don't need to call a plumber for that, I'll do it and save tons of money"

Cheers, Jeff.

Reply To This Message

Author: TRC (NY)

I had the same problem and here is what I did. I have a tub with a fiberglass surround. (not sure how well it would work with tile or other material). I put a very short rod just above the surround that spands the pooling corner. You can use two adjustable flag pole holders to attach the rod to each wall. Then I cut some clear shower curtain liner long and wide enough to cover the corner and attached it to the rod. Like normal liner, it will "stick" itself to the smooth surface where the tub enclosure meets the tub shelf and protects the corner from pooling water (nothing worse than having a break down in caulking and water penetrating the walls). The liner can be changed as needed. Not the prettiest solution but we used shower curtains and they stay closed after showering. My wife and I squeegee'd and toweled after each shower, but nearly impossible to get kids to remember to do it. Good luck.

-T

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.