Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How do you unclog urinals?
Author: Anonymous User

I installed a used urinal in an existing bathroom (it had been removed so the bathroom could be re-tiled), only to discover that the drain was clogged. I really didn't want to remove the urinal again, and besides, I didn't have an electric snake with me. So I tried a closet auger, wouldn't go. Plunging didn't work. My new co-worker had a compressed air gun that manually pumps up, it shoots a blast of air into a drain. Luckily, after the third blast, it cleared the drain. Do they make an auger specifically for urinals? What is the best way to clear a clogged urinal, without having to remove the urinal?

Re: How do you unclog urinals?
Author: Dunbar (KY)

They make a urinal auger made specifically for them.

If it is slow moving, use muriatic acid.

[www.plbg.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

I fill it half full of muriatic acid and let it sit for a while then carefully pump it in and out with a plunger. Usually that will get it going and then pour in the rest of the acid. I also have a small "urinal auger" which is a mini-closet auger.

How do you unclog urinals?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I too hate to remove uninals, but sometimes you just have to. As urinals age, they can become brittle. Using an auger might solve the problem, but it has been know to crack tempered china which has become brittle over the years.
This may actually be necessary when you have a gang of urinals.
Acid my have little effect on urinal blocks (para-block).
Forcing air into the throat of the urinal might crack it as well.
If that happens you have new problems. The new urinal don't look like the old urinals and use alot less water to flush them.
When replacing old urinals with new ones you have to adjust the water flow from 1.5gpf
to .9 gpf. This requires a new flush kit.
Best Wishes

Author: Anonymous User

You stated, "When replacing old urinals with new ones you have to adjust the water flow from 1.5gpf to .9 gpf. This requires a new flush kit."
Can you tell me why you have to change the "flush kit" (do you mean diaphragm, if it's a Sloan valve)? Is it a code requirement, because of water consumption limits?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.