Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How do you unclog urinals?
Author: Anonymous User

I installed a used urinal in an existing bathroom (it had been removed so the bathroom could be re-tiled), only to discover that the drain was clogged. I really didn't want to remove the urinal again, and besides, I didn't have an electric snake with me. So I tried a closet auger, wouldn't go. Plunging didn't work. My new co-worker had a compressed air gun that manually pumps up, it shoots a blast of air into a drain. Luckily, after the third blast, it cleared the drain. Do they make an auger specifically for urinals? What is the best way to clear a clogged urinal, without having to remove the urinal?

Reply To This Message

Re: How do you unclog urinals?
Author: Dunbar (KY)

They make a urinal auger made specifically for them.

If it is slow moving, use muriatic acid.

[www.plbg.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

I fill it half full of muriatic acid and let it sit for a while then carefully pump it in and out with a plunger. Usually that will get it going and then pour in the rest of the acid. I also have a small "urinal auger" which is a mini-closet auger.

Reply To This Message

How do you unclog urinals?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I too hate to remove uninals, but sometimes you just have to. As urinals age, they can become brittle. Using an auger might solve the problem, but it has been know to crack tempered china which has become brittle over the years.
This may actually be necessary when you have a gang of urinals.
Acid my have little effect on urinal blocks (para-block).
Forcing air into the throat of the urinal might crack it as well.
If that happens you have new problems. The new urinal don't look like the old urinals and use alot less water to flush them.
When replacing old urinals with new ones you have to adjust the water flow from 1.5gpf
to .9 gpf. This requires a new flush kit.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: Anonymous User

You stated, "When replacing old urinals with new ones you have to adjust the water flow from 1.5gpf to .9 gpf. This requires a new flush kit."
Can you tell me why you have to change the "flush kit" (do you mean diaphragm, if it's a Sloan valve)? Is it a code requirement, because of water consumption limits?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.