Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet won't flush correctly.
Author: Anonymous User

Hi guys...I'll be honest, I don't know anything really about plumbing...but here is my problem. Just purchased a house with a gameroom in the basement, with a half bath. The toilet rocked alot so I figured a bolt had broken. My father and I removed the toilet to find the flange was not flush with the floor for some reason? We installed new bolts, it won't rock side to side anymore, and for a temp fix, shimmed the toilet to stop font/back rocking, installed new wax seal. Very sturdy now...now it won't flush correctly? It flushed just fine before...but was not sturdy at all. Fixed one problem and created another...Any ideas. They also had a ton of caulking around the edge to hide the fact the toilet was raised about 1 1/2 inches above floor. I don't know what to do.

Re: Toilet won't flush correctly.
Author: jjbex (IL)

Post back with some specifics. Does the bowl drain slow? Does it evacuate urine but not solids? After you post back, someone will help you.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I don't know alot about medicine, but they never prevented me from operating on myself. After all, sometimes you just gotta save some money.
Seriously, if you are not a plumbing kind of person, let a licensed plumber do the work for you. You will have piece of mind knowing that the job was done properly and will last a lifetime. Not my lifetime, but yours.
Now hand me a scaphel.
Best Wishes

The toilet will fill with water, then drain very slowly. It doesn't matter what is in the toilet, liquids or solids. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Regarding the other reply...Yea, I may have to get a plumber. Just didn't want to if it was something I could fix on my own. I enjoy learning new things and I couldn't learn much by paying someone else to fix my problem. You don't have to always have to see a doctor to clean out a cut and put a bandage on it smiling smileyIf it thats what it comes to, I have no problem getting someone to do it. Thanks...

Author: jjbex (IL)

A start would be to rod out the toilet with a closet rod. If this doesn't take care of it, it could be that the water isn't entering the bowl fast enough. The jets might need cleaning.

Author: Racer814

yeah..start by rodding it....could just be some wax that has collapsed inward and is blocking the opening...do not caulk around the toilet...this will only hide the fact that you have a leak until you have damage....and nothing wrong with diy if you are capable...jus my 2cc's

Author: hj (AZ)

When you had the toilet up was there water in the pipe in the floor? If so, someone may have mounted it on a floor drain and the toilet is double trapped and will never flush properly. If this is the case, then the toilet wax seal was leaking and that allowed the toilet to flush. Repairing the bad wax seal would then have caused your problem. This may, or may not, be your problem but without testing the toilet we cannot give you any better solutions.

I have the same problem. Bought a new toilet and it still does it. The bowl fills with water and drains real slow. If i take a bucket of water and pour down the drain it flushes. I flushed the air vent on the roof with water and it seemed ok. Not sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas please help. Thanks.

Re: Thank you all for your suggestions clap

Thank you all for your suggestions. There was not water in the pipe on the floor when we pulled it up. The toilet flushed correctly before we pulled it up. I will rod it to make sure it isn't my wax seal in the way. I actually thought that could be problem but thought I should ask some that know more than I. Thanks again.

Hoss

Edited 1 times.

Author: plumber177 (NJ)

if the water level in the tank is to low that will happen
also the blue cleaning tabs that people use in the tanks not only eat away at the plastic but brake off in to pieces and clog the upper holes in the bowl

I think the water level is ok, and it seems to be rushing into the bowl pretty quickly. But, ittakes about a half hour to drain then. I will check the water level again when I get home to make sure. Thanks!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.